Monday Night Wings

Started by ArnieM, June 14, 2010, 05:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorce

Quote from: ArnieM on June 14, 2010, 07:27:37 PM
This is a shot of it sporting a 100-400 mm lens (which I rarely use).

What kind of lens are you using to snap the food photos? And if you aren't worried about lighting or using a flash F8 or F9 would be fine to snap the photos and ensure you get no blurring.

ArnieM

Quote from: Sorce on June 16, 2010, 06:58:41 AM

What kind of lens are you using to snap the food photos? And if you aren't worried about lighting or using a flash F8 or F9 would be fine to snap the photos and ensure you get no blurring.

I usually use the Canon f2.8, 28-70 mm.  I also usually use flash.  I'm at f5.6 now.  I think I will stop down to f8 to get reasonable DOF.

Thanks for your comment.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Sorce

Quote from: ArnieM on June 16, 2010, 11:21:08 AM
Quote from: Sorce on June 16, 2010, 06:58:41 AM

I usually use the Canon f2.8, 28-70 mm.  I also usually use flash.  I'm at f5.6 now.  I think I will stop down to f8 to get reasonable DOF.

Thanks for your comment.

Well that goes to back up your D for Dinosaur comment, I don't think Canon even makes that lens anymore. I don't mind the lower DOF, I tend to shoot a lot lower with mine, for some reason I just love that blurred background with the shot in perfect focus.

Anyway back to your original post, how long (and how hot) do you grill the wings for? I've done all sorts of chicken parts on the grill but never wings, I'm always afraid they won't crisp up enough without burning.

ArnieM

Sorce,

No, Canon doesn't make that L lens anymore.  I think the current one is 25-70.  Too much $$. 

I like the shallow DOF when it calls for it.  The lens has really nice bokeh.  I suppose I could put the plate on a chair and shoot straight down to keep the plate in a single plane.  Anyway, tried f8 tonight but haven't reviewed the pics yet.

I do the wings on a low to moderate grill, maybe 10 minutes per side until browned.  Then some sauce on each side for maybe another 2 minutes per side.  Have to watch them real close if the Q sauce is high in sugar.

I've found them crispier than doing them in a deep fryer.  That might be due to adding the sauce during cooking instead of a sauce bath later. 
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.