• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Meat shipping

Started by KevinG, June 16, 2010, 12:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinG

I've never shipped meat anywhere before, and was wondering if any of you have. I'm not sure what carrier to use, how to pack, or what regulations I might need to follow. It'll be within the U.S., anybody do this?
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

FLBentRider

I sent a smoked pork butt to my BIL once.

Froze it hard as a rock, packed with dry ice in a cooler, shipped 2nd day to Arizona.

Best, Most expen$ive pulled pork he ever ate.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KevinG

So with the dry ice, did they make you ship it a special way, since that depletes oxygen?

I guess what I mean is special labels to identify that dry ice is in the package.

squirtthecat

I get stuff from Omaha steaks every now and then...   They ship UPS with dry ice.   I don't recall seeing any special labeling on the box.

ronbeaux

Same here. I ordered a Wagyu brisket from Snake River Farms and all it came in was a styrofoam container inside of the box and was still frozen solid. No dry ice.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

classicrockgriller

I got a dbl thicked walled styro cooler from wally world filled it with 39 lbs of vac pak frozen meat.

Shipped it from Texas to Nashville UPS with some dryIce of top. (Really wasn't a lot)

After taping the box, UPS made me poke a couple holes in the top to let the gas escape from the dry ice.

I shipped it on a Monday, she got it on a Thursday. She said everything was still frozen solid.

Try to make sure and ship on a Monday so that it doesn't sit in a truck over the weekend.

Note: That was in the fall (Oct) so it wasn't as hot then.

stantonl

I recently shipped some fish and sausage to Alaska using dry ice and a cheap Styrofoam cooler by UPS. Took three days to get there and it was still frozen solid.

Larry

DTAggie

Glad this post came up.  Brother in Colorado has been asking me to mail him some Texas Butt and Brisket.

Do you all recommend pulling butt and slicing brisket before freezing?

classicrockgriller

Quote from: DTAggie on June 16, 2010, 08:27:12 PM
Glad this post came up.  Brother in Colorado has been asking me to mail him some Texas Butt and Brisket.

Do you all recommend pulling butt and slicing brisket before freezing?

Depends on if he can follow instructions from you on how to re-heat.

If he can, a solid mass will stay frozen longer.

IE: smoke the Butt and tear in 1/2 and vac pak and freeze.

Same thing with a Brisket. Smoke, slice and vac pak 1/2's of brisket.

DTAggie

What would be appropriate reheating instructions?

BuyLowSellHigh

Keys are overnight shipping and packaging.  Season (i.e., weather) IS a consideration.

If you pack it right with enough frozen gel packs it will keep real well for an overnight ship.  If you're shipping in a warm area or time then frozen is your best bet.  I get fresh, never frozen turkeys and geese every year in November / December when temps are typically 70's as high and the key has been how they were packed.  Foamed polystyrene (aka "Styrofoam", but it's not really) coolers, lots of space around for gel packs, then in a box.  Drop off as late as possible and overnight with early delivery - should be okay.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

classicrockgriller

Chris (10.5) ask me if I could help find him some Gulf Shrimp a while back.

I did, some hugh shrimp.

I vac-pak them in the size he wanted and froze them in the deep freeze (not the fridge freezer).

Packed in dbl walled styro cooler and a dribble of dry ice.

Shipped normal UPS and he said all was still frozen when he got them. (3 to 4 days).

Just make sure you plan it out where you ship on a Monday (like BLSH said as late as you can).

It's all a plan.

KevinG

Thanks guys, looks like it'll be a big box if I've got to pack it in a styrofoam cooler. Haven't seen a small one - ohh idea maybe a fish bait bucket. We'll see about that one, I'll probably have to test it out before I do it to make sure it'll keep. Good to know I won't need a special label or anything. Thought maybe if it went by air it would cause problems.

classicrockgriller

So are you shipping some dynamited pig to someone? ;D

What are you thinking of shipping?

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: KevinG on June 16, 2010, 09:35:07 PM
Thanks guys, looks like it'll be a big box if I've got to pack it in a styrofoam cooler. Haven't seen a small one - ohh idea maybe a fish bait bucket. We'll see about that one, I'll probably have to test it out before I do it to make sure it'll keep. Good to know I won't need a special label or anything. Thought maybe if it went by air it would cause problems.

If you can't find a suitable size cooler you can make a shipping container from Styrofoam (or equivalent) sheet and a large enough box.  Cut the sheet to line the box, use duct tape or the aluminized stuff to seal the edges of the sides and bottom,.  Be sure and leave enough room at the top for a top layer and getting the box closed, put the meat and packs in a plastic back to hold any drips or condensation.  Remember it's summer time.  There is also an aluminized insulation - kind of like aluminized bubble wrap, that makes a great radiant barrier, but I have no idea where to get it.  
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here