• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Short notice pulled pork!

Started by Phone Guy, June 09, 2005, 11:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phone Guy

I was going to do a pulled pork this weekend but it looks like we will be busy. I thawed the butt and am wondering if I can get by doing a rub then a couple hours later putting it in the smoker for an all nighter? I do have an injector if that would speed up the process.

Help,
Mike

nsxbill

Overnight is better, but go for it.  Make sure to score to fat cap to allow for a little better distribution of your rub, and marinating sounds like it would be a good idea for skipping the overnight rest in the refreigerator.

Don't skip the FTC!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

BigSmoker

You can also cut the butt(cute huh)into several pieces.  Rub all pieces with yellow mustard then the rub.  The mustard will help keep the rub on better on short notice.  Place them in the smoker.  Smoke at 235f for 6 hrs for sliced and 8 for pulled(Your temps may vary[:D]).  This methid also produces more bark[;)][:p].  Happy Smokin'.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Phone Guy

Well, here's what I did. I took the butt out of the refrig when I got home and took out some rub I had made up and gave it a good coating. I also took some apple juice and mixed it with a little rub and injected in various spots. Let set for an hour while the smoker got to temp. Poured a little apple juice on the outside and laid bacon directly on the butt. I put it in at about 7pm and smoked for 3 hours with Hicory then removed the bacon at 11:30. It reached 184 internal before I left for work at about 7:30am. I FTC'd and its in the cooler as I type this. I added a little apple juice in the foil. When I get home tonight we will have pulled pork with slaw and/or maybe some sauce. I hope it comes out good. It sure looked good.

JJC

How long you going to keep us in suspense about how it turned out, PG? [;)][:D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Phone Guy

My wife said this was the best yet. It was moist and delicious. Made an S&S slaw and had one with slaw and another with sauce. I'm not sure what you gain from applying a rub and letting it set over night. Now I know a little apple juice and FTC is the key.

JJC

Glad it was such a success, PG!  I've often had to forego the overnight thing and have never been disappointed, though I do think there's a little better flavor if I have the chance to put the rub on the night before--if it's a mild rub to begin with.  With strong rubs I'm not sure I can tell the difference whether I overnight it or not.  JMHO . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA