• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Let the 4th smoke begin!

Started by DTAggie, July 02, 2010, 07:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTAggie

Ended up with more meat than planned so I am getting started on my 4th of July smoking tonight.  Up first a 9 lb and an 8 lb butt and some pistachios.  By the time we all gather on Sunday I will have some ABTs and two brisket flats as well.

One butt with The Juicy Pig rub.  Ingredients below.

Other butt with Target knock off of CT and Jan's Rub

Both butts about to go in after sitting over night

Pistachios.  Still have not picked up any cheese cloth.

DTAggie

Ingredients in The Juicy Pig are listed as:  brown sugar, fine sea salt, paprika, garlic, white sugar, black pepper, cayenne, comino, orange zest, and other spices.

Doing 4 hours of oak and two hours of hickory.  Will pull the nuts after about 3 hours. 

classicrockgriller

Smart to start early and with the pig so it can mello out together.

Be careful pulling your nuts! ;D

DTAggie

Always careful pulling smokin' nuts!

DTAggie

Here they are after 6 hours of smoke

19 hours and first one hit 195.  Now to FTC

Briskets rubbed and waiting

DTAggie

Second butt hit 195* after 21 hours.  Raining cats and dogs up here.  The first one was Jan's Rud this one is The Juicy Pig rub.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

DTAggie

FTC both butts and just pulled both.  I have to say the Jan's Rub with Target knock of CT is better.  I rotated top to to bottom front to back after the smoke and the butt with Jan's ended up on top and came out first.  Great taste and texture.  After the smoke I put a foil pan on the last rack with some water so I could go to bed and not worry for a while.  Did not rotate again after I got up.  The butt on the lower rack took a few more hours to reach 195*.  Also, the lower butt did not seems to melt the fat away comared to the butt that was on top for the majority of the time.

Is this due to the rub (Jan's was on top majority of the time) or the second one being above the foil pan with water?  Either way they are both darn good.  Whipped up some CRG Cilantro Potato Salad and now two briskets are in the OBS for 4 hours of hickory.  Will make some mustard potato salad and ABTs tomorrow for the bid 4th celebration tomorrow evening. 

In FTC for 5 hours and burned my hands when I unwrapped it.  Bone fell out

Jan's butt all pulled.

Second butt.  Bone again fell right out.

Man we are going to party tomorrow.

I love this recipe from CRG

FLBentRider

Looks like some good eatin' there!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

GusRobin

Hey DT - couple questions.
What is the Target CT knockoff, and which recipe from CRG?
thanks
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

DTAggie

It is Archer Farm brand Carolina Stle BBQ Sauce.  Cilantro Potato Salad below.

From CRG:  I have been making this for years and over time got it to what I think is awesome eats. The following recipe is based on a per pound of potatoes. Better make more than a pound, you will be sorry if you don't.

Ingredients
1lb of new red potato
1/4 lb of crisp fried crumbled or chopped bacon
3 heaping tablespoons of Kraft mayo
1 rounded teaspoon of minced garlic
1/2 ts of salt
1/2 ts of black pepper
1/4 cup of finely diced sweet yellow onion
1/2 of a fresh lemon juiced or lime
1/4 cup of finely chopped cilantro

How I do it
I cubed my potatoes as to not get too big of cubes so they all kinda cook the same. Put enough water in pot to cover the amount of potatoes you are cooking and turn on high. After the water starts to boil, put in two or more Zatarains shrimp and crayfish boil bags. (there again the number would depend on how much you are making) After you have boiled the bags a while, dump in taters bring back to boil and then turn it down to low. when your largest chunk of tater just starts to get soft shut it down and dump into a collander. Don't rinse all that good stuff off the potatoes.

In a large bowl add: mayo, garlic, salt, pepper, yellow onion, cilantro and lemon or lime juice. stir together and let sit for 5 mins or so. dump half of bacon in mix and then potatoes and then other half of bacon and fold everbody together. when you are ready to eat this top with green onion tops. Yum Yum

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

DTAggie

First time I made it I used two bags of Zatarins.  It was pretty dang spicy.  This time used just one and still has a nice kick, just not real spicy.  So depending on your taste or whoever plans on eating it, adjust accordingly.

DTAggie

Both brisktes done and FTC.  Perfect timing.  They will be ready to slice at 5:30.  ABTs in the smoke now.  Made some mustard potato salad as well.

Second brisket

ABTs getting ready

Uncle Pigfat

Your guests better bow to you.  I know I would.