• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Impromptu frogmat?

Started by DarqMan, July 08, 2010, 08:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarqMan

My cold smoke adapter came in this week and I've got it installed.  Plan on doing some cheese this weekend and hiding in the fridge for the TSO later this fall.  But tonight, I've got some pistachios that I want to smoke.  I haven't ordered any frogmats yet.  Can anyone think of some household item that might work?  I thought of taking tin foil and punching holes in it with a ice pick but not sure how much smoke would get through.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

classicrockgriller

DTAggie

That is what I do.  Not a whole lot of smoke flavor in the two batches I have done.  Do not know if that is from using foil or if the pistachios do not absorb much smoke.

ArnieM

As CRG said, cheesecloth would work.  Or get some uncoated screening from the hardware store and cut to size.  Worked for me.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

DarqMan

Hey, I've got some old window screens I could cut up... that would work.  Since the pistachios are in shells it should be safe.... right?
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

DTAggie

Will try cheesecloth next time.  Have you guys noticed pistachios do absorb smoke good?

DarqMan

Gizmo

Quote from: DTAggie on July 08, 2010, 08:45:22 PM
Will try cheesecloth next time.  Have you guys noticed pistachios do absorb smoke good?

I have done them several times and get a great smoked flavor.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

classicrockgriller

Quote from: DarqMan on July 08, 2010, 08:45:08 PM
Hey, I've got some old window screens I could cut up... that would work.  Since the pistachios are in shells it should be safe.... right?

Give them a little rubby scrubby and do it!

DTAggie

I use either the Archer Farms Carolina Souce or Texas Gold with Frank's Hot Sauce sprinkeled with Jan's Rub.  Mighty Fine Indeed.

DarqMan

I'm thinking about CT and a sprinkle of Salt Lick for the kick.  Got my screens cut and scrubbed but didn't realize it was past 11pm... I'll put this project on hold for tomorrow after work. This forum makes time fly ;D

DTAggie

Do the frogs not come cut to Bradley rack size?

Gizmo

IF it helps, you can use my time zone, it is only after 9 PM.   :D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

DarqMan

Quote from: DTAggie on July 08, 2010, 09:11:12 PM
Do the frogs not come cut to Bradley rack size?

Yeah, if you get them from Yard and Pool they are cut 10 x 13.  I think it's Yard and Pool... it's been a while since I looked.

DarqMan

Quote from: Gizmo on July 08, 2010, 09:11:29 PM
IF it helps, you can use my time zone, it is only after 9 PM.   :D

Thanks Gizmo, when I need a couple extra hours I'll remember that ;D