Brisket Heaven

Started by MWS, June 13, 2005, 03:44:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MWS

Did my 4 pound brisket flat today and wow.... best thing I've done in the Bradley yet. I marinaded it overnight with a coffee and stout etc. mixture, then applied a rub in the morning. I smoked it for 3 hours with a hickory and oak mixture, then removed and wrapped in foil with 1/4 cup of apple juice. I placed it back in the smoker for another 3 hours till internal temp read 185F. When I removed it and pulled the temp probe, I got about a 1/2 cup of 'juice' oozing from the meat. I let it rest for about 45 minutes, then retrieved another 1/2 cup of 'juice' for dipping. Talk about tender..... When I pushed my finger on top of the brisket, It was like a sponge, saturated in it's own juices. The smoke flavour was really pronounced throughout the meat. I made a smoked onion BBQ sauce today for the meal but did'nt even use it. I'll save that for my sandwiches. Anyway, the tips for the wonderful brisket I made today came from this forum. Can't remember who or when (I think Big Smoker). Good stuff [:D]

<i><font color="green"><b>Mike </i></font id="green"></b>

<i><font color="black">"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved".</i></font id="black">
 -John Wayne

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

oguard

Sounds tasty Mike.Ican't wait to try another brisket.Got my new smoke generater[:)][8D].Did you find a cheap place for brisket?I read in another posting a guy got brisket for $1.49 a pound U.S. dollars but still cheaper then what I am paying.

<b><font face="Comic Sans MS">Mike</font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>

Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

Oldman

I guess I'm going to have to break down and do a brisket. However, I'm going to age first for 30 days [^]

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

psdubl07

Glad it turned out for you Mike.  Brisket is one of my favorite things to smoke.  The sauce I usually make for it has coffee in it, so I like the idea of marinating it in coffee and stout.  Might have to try this next time.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The sauce I usually make for it has coffee in it, so I like the idea of marinating it in coffee and stout. Might have to try this next time.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Ok how about sharing how to on these two items please [:p]

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MWS

My brisket marinade was a combination of S&S 'Stout Beer Marinade' on page 42 and 'Red Eye Marinade' on Page 43. I followed the Stout Beer marinade recipe and added 1 cup of good strong coffee. The Rub was the 'Wild Willies Number One-derful from S&S also. I love that book.

<i><font color="black">"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved".</i></font id="black">
 -John Wayne

Mike 

psdubl07

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The sauce I usually make for it has coffee in it, so I like the idea of marinating it in coffee and stout. Might have to try this next time.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Ok how about sharing how to on these two items please [:p]

Olds

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Olds, were you asking for the sauce recipe w/ the coffee in it?

Oldman

psdubl07

I'll have to look tonight at my S&S, but it's basically a modified version of the BBQ Ranch Style sauce.  I leave out the cumin and some of the chili pepper so it's not overly spicy and doesn't lean so far toward a Southwestern style flavor.
When you first look at the recipe, the amount of Worcestershire sauce seems too much.  I cut it down a little now, but not too much.  With the coffee and all the other flavors, it makes a nice hearty sauce fitting for brisket.

Also, the rub I've been using for my briskets is a modified version of this:
http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137

I add some fresh ground coffee into the rub, wonderful!

Edit:  I also don't add the lemon juice to the sauce.

goalieboy29

Hey MWS

Mind telling a newbie and fellow Canuck what the S&S is? Sounds like a cookbook I'd like to have.

Cheers,

goalieboy29

It's the wood that makes it good...
It's the wood that makes it good.

psdubl07

S&S is Smoke and Spice by Bill/Cheryl Jamison.  Awesome book, a must have.
Here's a good deal on one on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=378&item=4555776623&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by goalieboy29</i>
<br />Hey MWS

Mind telling a newbie and fellow Canuck what the S&S is? Sounds like a cookbook I'd like to have.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes a <s>cook</s> smoke book.  Smoke and Spice by the Jamison's.  Lots of good info and recipes.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

goalieboy29

thanks guys,

guess I'm off to the bookstore now, Geez, start a new hobbie and there goes the money for that trip to Europe...Well, at least I gets to eat.

It's the wood that makes it good...
It's the wood that makes it good.

MWS

Hey Goalieboy29,

Ken Drydens number right?

-John Wayne

Mike 

Chez Bubba

Hey, quit wasting bandwidth with that crap! Go to hockeyheads.com for those conversations![:D][:D][:D][:D]

J/K

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?