What next?

Started by HCT, June 15, 2005, 12:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HCT

Hi folks, SSBS just arrived today. I've been reading this forum non-stop since yesterday. Now that all of the basics are in place what are your suggestions as to what to go for in salts, cures, spices, etc.
TIA
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Oldman

Greetings Mickey,
Welcome to the group!

In answer to your question we have a Bradley recipe site. These recipes have been tried, tested, devolved, and are true. These came from the members here.

The site is:<b><font color="red">HERE</font id="red"></b>

There is one open forum at the top so members many post a recipe. Also images can be directly uploaded into a posting. Once you get set with your Bradley and if you would like to include one of your great recipes you are more than welcome to post it. If you are going to add images then please read the sticky concerning how to add them.

Next our first version of the recipes is also in a downloadable form. It is listed as well on that one open posting board.

Again welcome and we are all looking forward to getting to know you!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

jaeger

Mickey,
Welcome to the forum.
What are you planning to smoke?

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

HCT

I guess I'll start out with somwthing easy, chicken or ribs. This smoking business is all new to me. I'll take it slow in the beginning just to learn alot, but watch out once I get going. With all of the knowledgable people here it looks like my education will be a good one. Thanks folks.[:)]
probably the biggest"

BIG T

RECD MY BS MONDAY. HAVE BEEN READING THE FORUM NON STOP SINCE MY ORDER WAS PLACED LAST WEEK. HAVE ALREADY SEASONED MY BS & AM STOKED ON THE USE OF IT THIS WEEKEND. PLAN ON 2 SMALL BUTTS SEASONED DIFFERENT WAYS & A RACK OF BB RIBS. I HAVE READ SO MUCH VALUABLE INFO ON HOW TO USE THE BS! GREAT TO BE A PART OF THE BS FAMILY!!!

Oldman

Greeting BigT,

We are glad you found us, and we are looking forward to getting to know you.
Cya on the forums!!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Phone Guy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BIG T</i>
<br />RECD MY BS MONDAY. HAVE BEEN READING THE FORUM NON STOP SINCE MY ORDER WAS PLACED LAST WEEK. HAVE ALREADY SEASONED MY BS & AM STOKED ON THE USE OF IT THIS WEEKEND. PLAN ON 2 SMALL BUTTS SEASONED DIFFERENT WAYS & A RACK OF BB RIBS. I HAVE READ SO MUCH VALUABLE INFO ON HOW TO USE THE BS! GREAT TO BE A PART OF THE BS FAMILY!!!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Let us know how it turns out. Every time I see the word BB Ribs, I get all choked up. I love those things!

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mickey</i>
<br />Hi folks, SSBS just arrived today. I've been reading this forum non-stop since yesterday. Now that all of the basics are in place what are your suggestions as to what to go for in salts, cures, spices, etc.
TIA
Welcome to the Forum, Mickey!  Great to have another New Englander on board [:D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BIG T</i>
<br />RECD MY BS MONDAY. HAVE BEEN READING THE FORUM NON STOP SINCE MY ORDER WAS PLACED LAST WEEK. HAVE ALREADY SEASONED MY BS & AM STOKED ON THE USE OF IT THIS WEEKEND. PLAN ON 2 SMALL BUTTS SEASONED DIFFERENT WAYS & A RACK OF BB RIBS. I HAVE READ SO MUCH VALUABLE INFO ON HOW TO USE THE BS! GREAT TO BE A PART OF THE BS FAMILY!!!
Welcome, Big T . . . don't be a stranger!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

jaeger

<font size="4"><font color="blue"><font face="Lucida Console">Welcome Big T!!!</font id="Lucida Console"></font id="blue"></font id="size4">

jaeger

Mickey,

One item that I would advise is a copy of "Smoke and Spice" by the Jamisons. Pretty much everyone here swears by it. You will find some great recipes for rubs, along with many other recipes and ideas. This will get you started with an idea of what you may need for starters in regards to spices to start out with. Most of these ingredients you can pick up at your local supermarket, in time you will probably order a few select ingredients online.
 If you plan on making jerky, I have had good luck with High Mountain brand and some of the jerky seasonings from Eastman Outdoors. I use a
"Jerky Cannon or Jerky Gun" to make a ground jerky or beef stick. (One of our favorites)
Another item we like is smoked cheese. Here are a couple of pictures. One of my cold smokebox set up and another of some beef sticks that I made.

HCT

Thanks JJC. Always a pleasure to run into a yankee.[:)]
probably the biggest"

HCT

Jaegger, thanks for you info and picks. I guess the book can be gotten pretty much any where. What about the jerky gun? I prolly have most of the spices here at home being an avid stovetop cook  cook myself. Smoking is something I've been wanting to get into for a long time and I'm sure glad I ran across the BS and all it's great reviews. My real joys will come when making lox and pastrami, briskets and on down the line. Haven't had a chance to even season the smoker yet with the weather the way it's been. This weekend I should be able to.
Those slim jims look awesome. That and jerky are definately at the top of the list.
Aw hell, everything is on the top of my list.[:D]

Mickey
probably the biggest"

jhurlbur

Nice pics jaeger!!  The jerky looks mouthwatering[:p]  Jerky is one thing I haven't tried to smoke yet.  I'd also like to know where you got the jerky gun.  I saw a similar one on amazon but it looks cheap...just made of plastic with only two tubes.

John

jaeger

Mickey and John,
I bought my jerky gun from a supplier on ebay. He doen't appear to carry them anymore. Here is one at Cabelas that is the most reasonable price that I found.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0014969515420a&navAction=push&navCount=3&indexId=cat570003&podId=0014969&catalogCode=QS&parentId=cat570003&parentType=index&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml_A&_DAV=search&hasJS=true

If you notice in my original picture, there is a plastic plunger for packing the meat into the tube. This I found at a Ace Hardware though I doubt you will find one there anymore.  I have seen one at a website for Little Chief Smoker, Luhr-Jensen. May find one there. If I come across one I will post the addy.