Rookie Question - Pork Ribs

Started by AdamsSC, July 27, 2010, 11:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamsSC

For my 2nd smoke, I thought I'd try some Pork Ribs.  I like the 3-2-1 idea, but was wondering what brisquetts to use. I was thinking Apple...thoughts??

hal4uk

Hickory is my first choice, but hickory and apple are the two best woods for ribs.  Many people mix the two.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

mow_delon

I use apple for just about everything, but that is a matter of taste.  I have also found that 3-2-1 usually is 3-2-2 to get the meat to pull back from the bone properly, especially if you have meaty ribs (even the baby backs that I have done usually require the extra hour).  Just a heads up.

Habanero Smoker

Pecan is my go to bisquette for all pork.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TestRocket

I bought some pecan a little while back when Amazon had the 120 count priced just right. I'll give them a try!

Uncle Pigfat

I like to blend hickory and apple - 1 hickory then 2 apple for every hour.

Klompie

Green as grass when it comes to smoking but it sure is fun. Quick question: what do you mean with 3-2-1 or 3-2-2? Thanks.

Uncle Pigfat

3 hours naked smoke, 2 hours foil with a splash of your choice of liquid, 1 or 2 hour(s) sauce and cook w/out foil.

With baby back ribs I usually go 3-1-1.  They've usually pulled back by the time they leave the foil, so I give them maybe an hour with sauce to let the bark and sauce harden up.  But then again, I cook until the meat is done so this can and does change frequently.

TestRocket

Uncle,

What's your preferred cooking temp and how is it monitored?

Thanks in advance!  ;D

Uncle Pigfat

anywhere between 220 and 230.  I shoot for 225 and just monitor it with a cheapie probe thermometer below the lowest rack held on with a binder clip.  I use the door too but not until the foil starts.  I let it preheat for an hour with a brick inside with the slider cranked all the way up so it's good and hot when I go to throw my 50 - 55* ribs in the box.  It usually only drops to 180* cause I'm fast :).

**almost forgot - vent wide open.  always.  my smoker is not bashful. 

TestRocket

Over here: two bricks, vent wide open (leave it and forget it, one less variable) and a chamber probe under the lowest rack. I think I'm ready to settle for a cooking temp of 220 and learn from there (dual probe PID also). Thanks again!

cinrds

Ok so with the 3-2-1 on the 2 and the liquid of choice so you mean like apple juice here or what.  What juice do most of you use?

got smoke

done the 3-2-1 method for my first try used apple juice for the liquid and used hickory for the smoke found it a bit sharp, someone suggested to me only 2 hours for hickory. Done them again and used apple for 3 hours and really liked them. Just a note on my first smoke I made a couple other rookie mistakes like leaving the last puck on the burner once the (3) hour smoke was up. Still good but my second attempt was better in my opinion and no mistakes. When I do it again I will use apple, just my 2 cents.

OldHickory

Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

hal4uk

Quote from: OldHickory on August 02, 2010, 04:02:50 PM
Hickory for pork ribs.
Gimme a second here... (wiping the hillbilly tears from eyes..)
I love you, man.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby