Saturday dinner

Started by ArnieM, August 08, 2010, 08:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

Sorry, only a couple of pics and nothing finished.  I couldn't even find the camera by dinner time.  I checked the fridge but no luck.  Company over.

The menu was:
- Moink balls as an appetizer.
- B&M baked beans with pineapple, garlic, onion and some ancho chili powder.
- Cilantro potato salad - love that stuff.
- Pretty simple cole slaw.
- Berkshire pork baby backs.
- A mess of chicken wings.

I asked the butcher for a goodly slice of bacon to fry up and then cube up for the baked beans.

It was 50 cents - I can handle that.

The butcher was getting in four Berkshire hogs during the week and I put a reserve on two BB racks.  I screwed them up.  1:20 in the OBS, 50/50 hickory and apple.  Then onto the grill at 250.  The meat would not pull back on the bone so I finally pulled them out.  Overcooked and dry.  People seemed to like them anyway.

This is what they looked like before I screwed them up.

Everything else came out good so it's a live and learn situation.

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

DTAggie

So what is a berkshire hog?

classicrockgriller

Menu sounds delicious.

You are probably your on worst critic.

IT may not be exactually like You want them, but I bet they were good.

classicrockgriller

DTAggie

I remember that thread, but it has no explanation of exactly what a Berkshire Hog is.  Guess I could research it, but you it is 11:15 on Sunday so a few Tito's has me saying no to that.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: DTAggie on August 08, 2010, 09:14:13 PM
I remember that thread, but it has no explanation of exactly what a Berkshire Hog is.  Guess I could research it, but you it is 11:15 on Sunday so a few Tito's has me saying no to that.

For a short ... they are to Pig what Kobe is to Beef.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: DTAggie on August 08, 2010, 09:14:13 PM

Now I know what the T in DTAggie stands for ...... Tito's!

Quarlow

Man that is some prime looking pig there. Berkshire is like an heirloom breed that are kind of rare from Britain. They are said to be the oldest breed. It is a breed they raised in days of old. They grow to a good size and they grow fairly quick too. And they breed easily and give birth mostly on their own. And they give really nicely marbled meat. They have a show I have been watching on BBC canada called "Jimmy's Farm" and this is the breed he has.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

DTAggie

Thanks Q.  And Sonny, maybe I should legally change my last name so the T does stand for Tito

hal4uk

DT - they're also called "Kurobuta" (in Japan)...
I think that translates to "Black Pig" (and they are black)
They taste like good pigs did before they became "the other white meat"..
They bred some fat out for consumer (healthy) demand over the years, but they bred a lot of FLAVOR out with it.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

ArnieM

Here's a Wiki link for a description of Berkshire pork:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkshire_(pig)

This is where my butcher gets them.  It's just a few towns over:  http://www.rowlandfarmhogs.com

The butcher got a few hog carcasses in last Thursday.  I picked up my ribs on Friday.  I'll go back tomorrow to see what's left; maybe chops, butt or picnic.

This is an old pic of a couple of the Berkshire chops I got at the butcher.

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.