1st go around with Pink Salmon!

Started by chiroken, August 21, 2010, 09:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chiroken

Gotta give credit to Kummok once again for his brine recipe, this sure turned out great! You'll notice several of the filets didn't make the photo...ummm...too good to not nibble on, especially warm and straight out of the smoker  ;)

A few of the pieces are more "flat" and not as glossy. Left those in quite abit longer to dry them out some more to be able to compare to the more moist ones.

Alot of people bad mouth pinks, saying they're only good to can. I disagree 100%! Smoked they are awesome. From fly rod to BBQ within 30 minutes they're pretty darn good too.

Setting up

Finished and ready for eating/v. packing
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Quarlow

You know I will agree with you now. But when I was on the fishboats you could not have forced me to eat one. When cleaning them their bellies smelled so bad that I could have never eaten one. And on top of that I was processing up to 1500 a day. But now the memory has faded and I have eaten quite a few pinks and they are very tasty. As long as I don't have to clean it I can eat it.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

chiroken

I'm not much of a fan of cleaning fish, period. I need a trunk monkey for that. Have you seen the Automobile commercials for trunk monkeys? We all can use them at one time or another, especially a fish cleaning trunk monkey. Can see them on You Tube at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8avOiTUcD4Y
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Kummok

Great looking smoke! I'm with you on the Pinks...nothin' wrong with them at all. If I ever run outta Kings and Reds, I'll use 'em!  ;) :D

watchdog56

lumpy

The first thing I smoked in my BDS was salmon from BC and thanks to Kummok, I am still at this!

Lumpy

Biggyj

Also a first time salmon smoker and was just wondering if you are suppose to rinse the fillets in cold water after taking them out of the brine?

Kummok

A good and often asked question, BiggyJ.  I don't....others do...comes down to personal taste. Some say it makes the fish less salty....I've had it both ways and haven't noticed a difference. You might consider trying part of your batch rinsed and the other part not rinsed just to see if you prefer one way over the other.....

Quarlow

I do rinse mine,but I also do mine dry brine so the excess salt needs to be rinsed off or it would be way to salty. That said I amgoing to be doing a batch this weekend and I it will be ala Kummok style. Got to try it your Kummok.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

Kummok

Just managed to drag a big fat Silver outta the water today, (14 lb ....decent for a Silver...but really fat around the girth), fishing with a friend who managed to coax up a King....don't know if either will last long enough to smoke cuz the Weber is calling out pretty loud for fresh salmon. Gonna try to keep it quiet by feeding it baby backs tonight but it'll probably prevail for tomorrow's supper!

Quarlow

OBS
BBQ