Smoked Salt

Started by Tenpoint5, August 24, 2010, 06:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

Since my supply is out and I am smoking a couple of butts today. I figured what the heck. Busted out a couple commercial sized coffee filters. dumped a 20oz jar of Mediterranean Sea Salt equally on both and they went in for a four hour ride in the smoke with the butts. Just like cheese they will darken more after a couple of days. Here they are getting ready to go in.

After an hour and a half I stirred up the salt with my finger. Taste is really good but 230º salt is a tad bit warm on the ol bugger picker!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

I need to do that as well...     Thanks for the reminder!

TestRocket

I don't think I've ever heard of smoked salt! 

SouthernSmoked

I need to do this also, I'm about to run out.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Tenpoint5

After about 4 hours of Hickory Smoke here is what we have. You can see where it has been stirred around.

A close up to show color

The difference between the smoked an normal. (Both are from the same jar of salt) The smoked will get more color in a couple of days after sitting and resting. I'm Done with this project!!

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ArnieM

Thanks for the reminder here too  :D

I'm usually looking for something else to throw in the smoker and always forget the salt.

I was thinking of trying some rough-cracked Tellicherry peppercorns too.  Anyone ever try smoking them?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

I've done whole peppercorns...   They have a mild smokiness when you run them through the grinder.

Your idea is better.

Bavind

I usually do my smoked salt for 20 to 24 hrs and it turns out great.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: ArnieM on August 24, 2010, 09:22:18 AM
Thanks for the reminder here too  :D

I'm usually looking for something else to throw in the smoker and always forget the salt.

I was thinking of trying some rough-cracked Tellicherry peppercorns too.  Anyone ever try smoking them?

That is how I smoke my peppercorns. Cracked not ground, and use a cabinet temperature of 200°F - 225°F. Smoking them at that temperature improves the smoke flavor. Using cracked peppercorns give you getter surface area, and I believe using those temperatures helps bring the volatile oils of the peppercorns to the surface for better smoke adhesion. Then I store them in a tight container, and use a dedicated hand grinder to grind the pepper as I need it.

I posted my method somewheres on this forum, but will add it to the recipe site. I started writing up the recipe about a year ago and never finished it. :-[

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ArnieM

Thanks for the info Habs.  I'll be smoking this weekend, weather permitting, so I'll put some salt and pepper in there.

Yes, please get your recipe for the pepper up, in your "spare time" for the benefit of humankind.   :D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

TMB

When I talked to you this morning you said you were going to smoke salt.  I thought you hit the watering hole a bit to early in the morning!  :D

That does look good.  

Now can one do this as a cold smoke?    I have a Smoke Pistol that would do a good job of cold smoking.
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

squirtthecat

Quote from: TMB on August 24, 2010, 01:21:13 PM
Now can one do this as a cold smoke?    I have a Smoke Pistol that would do a good job of cold smoking.

The last salt I did was cold smoked.   I did kosher salt, cheese, peppercorns and some paprika..   Hit it all with a couple hours of Pecan.

Tenpoint5

When I talked to you this morning you said you were going to smoke salt.  I thought you hit the watering hole a bit to early in the morning!  :D

That does look good.  

Now can one do this as a cold smoke?    I have a Smoke Pistol that would do a good job of cold smoking.

The kids went to school at 8am I have been up since 4 so it wouldn't have been out of the question to have a adultry beverage. Cept Momma is at the Hospital while her dad is having cancer removed from his lungs, and I am watching our 4 and babysitting 2 more. I could use one but not when watching 6 kids under 12 too many things could go wrong to fast.

Sailor

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on August 24, 2010, 04:51:31 PM

That does look good.  

The kids went to school at 8am I have been up since 4 so it wouldn't have been out of the question to have a adultry beverage. Cept Momma is at the Hospital while her dad is having cancer removed from his lungs, and I am watching our 4 and babysitting 2 more. I could use one but not when watching 6 kids under 12 too many things could go wrong to fast.

Yep....just don't take a nap.  You might end up hog tied and your face will be painted. :o

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

seemore

chris hope all is good
scott