Atlantic versus Pacific Salmon

Started by Smokeville, August 25, 2010, 06:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokeville

Hello all;

At the risk of starting a war between all you folks who live on either coast -- which is really the best salmon?

We have started selling smoked salmon which is farmed Atlantic. A number of folks came by our booth and were adamant that Pacific salmon was so much better. So, this week, we will be selling some. I can always get Atlantic tails for $5.99/lb and this week for $4.99/lb. Pacific was $9.99/lb and that was a sale price.

So, what do you think?

Regards, Rich

Caneyscud

Not an expert, but I tend to like Pacific for smoking and eating other way.  I think it has a "richer" flavor.  I prefer Atlantic for lox and gravlox.  I try not to use Atlantic, especially none wild caught as there is such a scarcity of it in the wild. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

ArnieM

I don't think it's so much Atlantic vs Pacific as it farm-raised vs wild caught.  I haven't seen any wild-caught Atlantic salmon in years.  The farm-raised usually has "color added" to make it look more like salmon, at least at Costco.

The wild-caught salmon from the Pacific northwest certainly tastes better to me.  But, as you've indicated, you have to pay the price.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Caneyscud

You're not likely to find an wild A.S. for sale with an origin of the USA.  Extremely decimated populations.  I think 11 rivers in the NE now have endangered species status for the A.S.  Plus Canada, does not have any legal AS Commercial fisheries.  Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure I have seen wild A.S. for sale.  The fins are slightly different than farmed AS.  Some country's commercial fishermen could care less about the decimated populations of AS and continue to harvest them for sale. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Habanero Smoker

I agree with Arnie. It's farm raised verses wild. I sometimes get some wild Alantic salmon from a friend who fishes along the St. Lawrence river during their run, and it is really good salmon. If I could get it more often, I prefer the wild Alantic salmon, it seems less oily and has a milder taste.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Kummok

OK, here's Mr 'All I Eat Is Salmon' admitting that I don't recall ever eating a wild Atlantic salmon so can't speak to that....But Arnie is indeed right on the money regarding it being a wild v farmed issue rather than a left v right coast thing......

Note to Caney....the fins are different in farmed because they are essentially "sanded off" from swimming around so long in the tank...honest!  :o   

Note to Habs....If you like the dryer salmon and find west coast stuff for sale near you, try the Silver (Coho) or Pink (Humpy). They're way drier than the Red/King meat. Also the tails are drier yet while bellies are more moist/oily. You know me....I like the big fat feeder King bellies with the oil dripping down my arm!  ;)

Quarlow

And I have to agree with this also. When I worked on the fishboats my capt. had a friend who was an Atlantic salmon farmer. He was experimenting with some farm raised coho for the DFO and we stopped by there one time on the way to Prince Rupert. He netted out and nice coho and an Atlantic and we provided a wild coho for a taste test. All I can say about the Atlantic is "no thanks" but the farm raised coho was not a lot better, somewhat but not a lot. Of course I don't have to say anything about the Wild coho, it was the only one to get eaten all up. It all comes down to the feed. If you could feed fresh live Krill and other such wild feed they would end up with a way better tasting end product. But the bottom line for them is speed off production and when they give them controlled feed with all the additives the A.S. grow faster and can be harvested sooner. I guess to business money means more than quality.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

Kummock;

Thanks. I will keep my an eye out for either one in my area.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Carter

Sales is a funny thing eh?

If you had people over to your house and you served them Smoked Atlantic Salmon (and didn't tell them what type it was - or even if you did), they'd fall all over themselves to get every last morsel they could stuff into they're face.  And they'd thank you and compliment you on your excellent work.

Then you put a price tag on it and suddenly your excellent Atlantic Salmon is not so special.  Better shape up.

Human nature is pretty classic.

Give the people what they want.  Sell them the premium stuff.....and maybe even take a little more margin for yourself  ;D

Kummok

Quote from: Carter on August 26, 2010, 10:58:45 AM
.....If you had people over to your house and you served them Smoked Atlantic Salmon (and didn't tell them what type it was - or even if you did), they'd fall all over themselves to get every last morsel they could stuff into they're face.  And they'd thank you and compliment you on your excellent work......

True statement.....but I sincerely believe that it is only the salmon muncher with immature tastes that would be guilty of the above behavior. Salmon, like just about any other food type (and BEER/Wine!), is an acquired taste and eventually matures to the better stuff the more you eat....smoked salmon is just acquired a LOT better at the early stages of taste maturity than most other food types.....eat enough of the stuff and you'll eventually CRAVE feeder King bellies dripping in oil..... ;)

Carter

Ha Ha.  I Love it.  :D

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt Kummok since I've never compared the two side by each.

Maybe I'll put it to the test for my next batch - which I'm due to make any day now.

Carter

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Carter on August 26, 2010, 10:58:45 AM
Sales is a funny thing eh?

If you had people over to your house and you served them Smoked Atlantic Salmon (and didn't tell them what type it was - or even if you did), they'd fall all over themselves to get every last morsel they could stuff into they're face.  And they'd thank you and compliment you on your excellent work.

Then you put a price tag on it and suddenly your excellent Atlantic Salmon is not so special.  Better shape up.

Human nature is pretty classic.

Give the people what they want.  Sell them the premium stuff.....and maybe even take a little more margin for yourself  ;D

I was speaking from the point of view of what my preference is, not what I can get away with serving. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Smokeville

Thanks all. This has been a great thread, I think.

For this Saturday, I have smoked some Atlantic Salmon and some Pacific Sockeye Salmon.

My best guess is that I will sell all the Sockeye without even providing samples...

waterkc

I am going to be doing some King and Sock-eye today. Both Wild and caught in Alaska earlier this year, late last year. I am using the recipe that is on the top of the fish list here. I can't wait you guys have me all wound up now. I usually get the stuff from Costco, and I will be stopping by to get some more today. I am going to smoke them the same and see if there is a noticeable difference.

I prefer the wild to farm, in my humble opinion way better tasting. Gee go figure Mother Nature knows what she is doing. huh, who'd a thunk!

Great thread, can't wait to sink in to some.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and loose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln."

Smokeville

For those of you who haven't heard me write this about 100 times -- I'm allergic to Salmon and very jealous of all of you!

I'm surprised not one of you said "try some and decide for yourself...."

BTW, I am going for a re-test next week. My last test was 35 years back before Salmon was farmed. I'm not allergic to trout and I'm wondering if it is what the salmon eat in the wild that causes my reaction (which is not lethal but just makes me wish I was dead).