Sweet Bread Starter

Started by classicrockgriller, August 26, 2010, 01:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Smokin Soon on January 26, 2011, 05:48:22 PM
Sonny expressed some interest in dehydrating the starter to make it easier to distribute, I'm gonna give it a go. Baked last Sunday, still have bread. Gonna feed tonight, retain my 1 cup in the morning and spread out the remainder on parchment paper and into the dehydrator at 100 degrees and see what happens. From what I have read, you can take the dried flakes and turn them into a powder with a coffee mill.
Now the bringing back to life thing is yet to be seen. I will dry out 2 cups of starter, 1 cup per rack so it is easy to keep track of.

I am thinking that the powder could be added to a normal feed cycle, and develop without refrigeration for 24 to 48 hours. Any ideas or direction welcome.

That is a great idea! I never thought about dehydrating a cup and just bring back with the water.

Am watching with interest.

I did mine in the oven (no heat) with light on and door ajar.

Just remember that heat (above 130* I think) will kill yeast.

OU812

From what I have read you should line a rimed pan with plastic wrap or wax paper to prevent sticking.

After you have fed your starter and let it get active, pour some of it onto the covered pan not more than 1/4" thick, the thicker the layer the longer it will take to dry.

Set aside at room temp till it gets brittle, it will take nearly a week to harden.

Break into small pieces and grind.

mikeradio

Smokin Soon

Sweet bread starter after a 12 hour run in the dehydrator at 100*

After the grind, this is the powder of 1 cup of starter

Added 1 cup of 110* water, 1 cup flour, 1/4 cup sugar. Got some bubbles which is a good sign I think

Give it a day and see what happens.

classicrockgriller

Smokin Soon

Looking at the starter this morning, I'm pretty sure the whole dehydration thing worked.

I will probably leave it out the rest of the day and put one cup in the fridge for furthur testing.

classicrockgriller

WOW!

Just Awesome!

No more exploding dough bombs!

I knew you could do it.

jiggerjams

SS - hats off to you for this ex[eriment. This is great. Let us know how it tastes.

Could mean a whole different way of storage also if it will hold in a pantry...which I think it would ??? Could make a bunch and then pull from the pantry as needed.

OU812

Great job drying the starter SS

I was wondering how it would do at 100 F in the dehydrator.

Ive got a cup of starter double vac sealed in the freezer just in case something happins to the one I got in the fridge.

Smokin Soon

From what I have read, frozen starters have a certain risk involved. My first attempt at Sonny's starter was frozen and did not take. I feel pretty good about the dehydration thing, cause it is doing the right things, and has the right smell. I was also pleased that I ended up with the same amount of starter that I started out with, 2 cups. This is how much 1 cup has grown since this morning. *Correction* I still have 1 cup powder, so 1 cup turned into 2.

classicrockgriller

That is just fantastic!

I would think that it could be vac-paked and kept for a Long time.

Thanks Again. Gonna re-read your steps.

Smokin Soon

I''ll make it easier.

spread out 1 cup of starter, I started with a batch that had been fed 12-13 hour earlier and rested at room temp loosley covered.
Dried at 100 degrees in dehydrator until the flakes snapped like a potato chip. Ground into a fine powder with a coffee grinder.

To re start, added 1 cup water 110 degrees, 1 cup KA bread flour, 1/4 cup sugar left loosley covered 24 hours.
added 1/2 cup flour, as it was kind of thin.

Smokin Soon

It passed the bake test today with flying colors! Now I don't feel so paranoid if I kill a batch.

classicrockgriller

And that was the last test.

SWEET!

Again GREAT JOB!

Guess I will HAVE to buy an adjustable dehydrator. ;D

Mine is a constant on or off. I think 150*

Smokin Soon

That's too high for anything yeast based. 105 is the limit. In the oven with the light on should work also, but will probably take 24 hours or so.