Sweet Bread Starter

Started by classicrockgriller, August 26, 2010, 01:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jiggerjams

Bump........because I use it.  :)

classicrockgriller

As the weather warms up, I will NOT be sending it.

If someones wants it, now is the time to get it.

OU812

Got 2 loafs on there second rise right now.  ;D

Smokin Soon

2 loafs and 1 oddball just out and smellin goooooooooooood!!!!! ;D

OU812

classicrockgriller

4 pans of rolls rising as we speak.

jiggerjams

2 pans of whole wheat made yesterday....gone yesterday ;D That's ok I still have the second half of the first rise dough in the fridge waiting and will be made today.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 23, 2011, 01:59:23 PM
4 pans of rolls rising as we speak.

Two Sons came over today and took every piece of starter rolls in the House.

Just feed 2 starters for a dbl batch tomorrow.

Quarlow

Gonna have to call you the dougman. Your just a lean, mean bread makin' machine.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

GusRobin

Quote from: Quarlow on January 24, 2011, 09:10:28 PM
Gonna have to call you the dougman. Your just a lean, mean bread makin' machine.
Naw, the Pilsbury guy already took that name ;D
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

rdevous

Was wondering if when you pour your starter into the bowl to make bread, should you wash out the jar before adding the one cup of starter to the jar?

My mind is a scary thing....OH NO.....here come the voices again!!!

Ray

If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!

jiggerjams

sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. If the jar didn't come clean from the rinse of warm water I clean it.

OU812

After I dump the starter in the bowl and scrape clean with a spatula.

I add the warm water, that is to be added the the feeding, to the jar first.

Then shake and pour that in the starter flour sugar mix.

Then rinse and fill the jar up with scolding hot water put on the lid loosly and set aside.

I dont use soap, thats just me.

Quarlow

Quote from: GusRobin on January 24, 2011, 10:10:15 PM
Quote from: Quarlow on January 24, 2011, 09:10:28 PM
Naw, the Pilsbury guy already took that name ;D
I thought he was the Pilsbury doughboy, not the texas doughman.  :D :D :D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Smokin Soon

Sonny expressed some interest in dehydrating the starter to make it easier to distribute, I'm gonna give it a go. Baked last Sunday, still have bread. Gonna feed tonight, retain my 1 cup in the morning and spread out the remainder on parchment paper and into the dehydrator at 100 degrees and see what happens. From what I have read, you can take the dried flakes and turn them into a powder with a coffee mill.
Now the bringing back to life thing is yet to be seen. I will dry out 2 cups of starter, 1 cup per rack so it is easy to keep track of.

I am thinking that the powder could be added to a normal feed cycle, and develop without refrigeration for 24 to 48 hours. Any ideas or direction welcome.