Sweet Bread Starter

Started by classicrockgriller, August 26, 2010, 01:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Smokin Soon on February 23, 2011, 09:10:28 PM
Sonny, better get crackin on your dehydrated activation technique, as Lq's went out today. Hate to see those Teabags flying towards Texas!

Yowser that would be BAD! ;D

La Quinta

I'm gonna bring a box to NOLA with me...just in case!!!  ;D

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller

Wanted to show how my Mom makes her rolls.

Before I went and stayed so much with her when she was sick,

I use to slice off a glob of rolled out dough and did the "roll 'em up"

in the palms of my hands.

She takes the dough after the first rise and kinda chicken necks a glob.

Then she pulls it a part some so she has a nice even start.

She turns that over into the palm of her hand and starts pulling and rolling everthing to the top.

At this point you can add or take away dough to keep you rolls the same size.

She keeps going till all the dough is used.

Not saying you have to do it this way, just showing you a different way to make rolls.

Smokin Soon

I did figure out what the problem with my last batch of rolls with Cinnamon and raisins. It seems that I went a little heavy on the cinnamon. It can have the tendency to be a yeast killer. This time I added a tsp of instant yeast to the mix and got some tasty rolls. There is a yeast that SAF makes that is supposed to be better for sweet breads using cinnamon. It's SAF Gold or something. Probably gotta order on line.

jiggerjams

standles

CRG:

When making Biscuits we call them Cat Head biscuits.   Made like you showed the rolls just with biscuit dough.

Cat head because that is the way you pop a cats head off.   :o

Quarlow

Ooooo don't let my wife see this. She loves her cats and thems is fighten words.  ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

standles

;D  Not my saying.  That has been around a long time.   BTW..  I had two cats till my daughter stole them and took them to college :)

OU812

Quote from: Quarlow on March 01, 2011, 05:59:37 PM
Ooooo don't let my wife see this. She loves her cats and thems is fighten words.  ;D

Thems target practice round here.  ::)

Sorry I'll go back to my corner now.

classicrockgriller

Finished drying 8 more cups of starter today.

Think I am good for a while.

Smokin Soon

One more for the old gals Sonny! I have been playing around to find my ultimate Onion Roll for burgers, roast beef, corned beef,etc. Did the usual mix but cut the sugar in half. Added 1/2 cup instant potato buds, 1/2 cup dried minced onion, 2 tbs onion powder. Used an egg wash and added seeds. I use a mix from KA Flour called "everything bagel", but it's pretty good with sesame and more dried onion too. I just did a half batch tonight for some corned beef, should get you 8 rolls. Next batch is gonna get some chedder and garlic!

OU812

Now thats some good lookin buns.

Did you cook them in a pan or on a sheet?

Smokin Soon

Back from my Bro in the Philippines, and my bud in Thailand. They have been using the starter more for rolls than bread. The most popular of them is called "Pandesal". They replaced half of the water with evap milk to get the taste that was authentic. After the rolls were formed after the first rise they rolled the cut pieces in evap milk and rolled in bread crumbs. I tried it and it's off the hook! Filipina wife cannot believe that it's so authentic. Good stuff.

La Quinta

Well...I still have the starter but have no clue how to use it....