2nd smoke question

Started by kinyo, September 03, 2010, 06:05:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kinyo

Hi all!

I bought a beatiful 7# boston butt a my butcher last night for my 2nd smoke that i'm planing for this week-end.

I have some questions for you guys!

1- at what temp I should  FTC? 190 IT?

2- how much time you think it will take? 16 hours?

3- vent? what position?

Thanks for you support!  ;D

KyNola

1. 190-200

2. 16 hours is a reasonable estimate but essentially forget the time aspect.  It's done when it's done.  The IT is the key.  When you get in the range listed in #1, time to take it out.

3. 3/4 to full open.  Forget the vent is on your Bradley.  Leave it somewhere between 3/4 to full open regardless.  I think mine is stuck wide open.  I know some guys have literally removed the damper.

SouthernSmoked

Hello Kinyo,

I will normally FTC at 190-195f, and for a 7lb butt I would guess around 12hrs and then about 3-4 FTC. I would say the 16hours sound about right.

My vent on the Bradley is set wide open while doing almost any meat.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Max

And I'd only add put it on one of the middle racks, not the highest and not the lowest.

classicrockgriller

Butts are a fun smoke, it just takes a while to get'er done.

Eveyone does theirs a litte different, but I like 225* cabinet temp and 195* IT

Then a long FTC. I would give myself around 18/19 hrs and that includes the 4 to 6 hr FTC.

Vent 3/4 to full.

Good Luck and take pics.

And Max is dead on for the rack position.

kinyo

It's possible to FTC for as long as 6 hours?

Tenpoint5

Quote from: kinyo on September 03, 2010, 07:08:20 AM

In a small compact cooler yes it is
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

Quote from: kinyo on September 03, 2010, 07:08:20 AM

Sure, np.

Double or triple wrap in foil, two big towels and then the unused microwave or a warm cooler.

FTC'ed some butts the other day for 7 hrs and they were still 153* when I pulled the meat.

kinyo

Also, knowing that the temperature gauge on the door is not really accurate when the is food in the smoker, what do you think is the best way to keep a constant 225*.

Is it to bring the tower to 225* empty and then to leave the control at that position?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm not use to my new OBS yet! :)

I think I will order a PID!

classicrockgriller

Do you currently have any extra thermo other than the door thermo?

kinyo

I have a digital Maverick one to check the meat temp.

ArnieM

I found the door thermo to be very accurate.  The problem is where it is located, especially in relation to the meat.

Use the Mav for the IT.  Preheat the OBS as high as it will go.  The temp will drop like a rock when you get the butt in there.  Then cook with the slider all the way on and the SG on once the smoke is done.  If the door thermo is much over 225, turn off the SG.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

beefmann

these guys have you  set  straight

kinyo

Thanks everybody,

Great info as usual!

I'm going to the cabin this week-end, so no access to internet. I will take pictures and post them when I come back, so you can see the results! :D

classicrockgriller

Since you are smoking a Butt and it takes a while to get the IT there, I would .....

Use my meat probe to help monitor the Cabinet temp till you get into the 8 to 9 hours

of cooking. By that time you will know where you want the slider to be to maintain your 225 temp.

Then wipe the probe off and insert it in your Butt. ;D  And monitor the Butt after that time.