• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First KCBS Competition This Weekend - UPDATED W/PICS

Started by begolf25, September 09, 2010, 06:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Caneyscud

A most important tip.  Read the rules and follow them explicitly.  Some of those contest promoters are real sticklers - as they probably should be! 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

ArnieM

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

Gizmo

Good luck Bryan.
I am envious.  Would like to participate in one of them myself.  Just met a guy this week that helps on a team.  They do really well and have a bunch of trophies to show for it.  They believe that they may make it on one of the Pit Master types of shows before too long.  They guy lives in a neighboring city and said he was going to bring me a sample of their brisket over tomorrow.  I can't wait.  Last weekend they competed in Mesquite Arizona.  Harry Soo (Slap Yo Daddy) was next door to them, Johhny Trigg was next to him with Big Papa Smokers across from them if I remember correctly.  Talk about being in greatness.  I'll be keeping in touch with them for when they compete in some local competitions.  I hoped they liked my Jerky Nuggets and Beef Sticks.   ;D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

begolf25

Well, what a weekend. We had a blast at our first full KCBS competition. When we first pulled up to the competition site Friday we sure felt way out of our league. We made our way to our spot and got set-up. We didn't finish as well as hoped but we feel pretty good considering the competition we were going up against. This was a very veteran group of competitors with multiple state championships to their credit. We finished 21st overall out of 29. We were 1 of only 2 rookie teams at his competition.

Our highest finish was 13th in ribs which we were very pleased with. We finished 19th in Brisket, 21st in chicken and 25th in pork. We got very good scores in appearance but we were inconsistent in flavor and tenderness. With a few tweaks I think we can move into the top 10. Below are some pics from the weekend.

Taking a break from setting up...

Some of the other competitors..

Team BBQ Guru was right across from us...

My little Pitmaster in training...

Cleaning up the chicken box...

Chicken ready for turn-in...

Slicing up the ribs...

Rib Box...

Brisket Box...

Pork Box...

My wife, made sure the entries were there in time...

KCBS rep about to hand out the awards, next time one or more of those will be ours :)

iceman

WAY TO GO BRYAN!!! Most folks just dream of even getting to go to a function like that and you guys showed up and wooped on some of the pros!  ;D Great job buddy.  :)

classicrockgriller

First, Congrats and Glad you had fun.

Your little pitmaster in training is a handsome young man. I know

you will have fun "Teaching" him the fine art of BBQ.

All the entry boxes look great, but that Pork box should have had

my name on it, and the chicken, ribs & brisket.

It all looks great.

I think I remember you get to do it again this weekend.

Go get'em! Take no prisons.

SouthernSmoked

Awesome job - we'll get em next time.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

DTAggie

Looks like you had a great time Bryan.  Congrats on the game last night as well.

ArnieM

Good going Bryan!  You did well.  Kick some A$$ this coming weekend.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

KyNola

Way to go Bryan.  Your "turn in" boxes looked prize winning to me.  Very very nice presentation.

We're all proud of you.

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)