• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First KCBS Competition This Weekend - UPDATED W/PICS

Started by begolf25, September 09, 2010, 06:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

Very nice!  I applaud your choice of adult beverages as well...   ;)

ronbeaux

You got your feet wet and learned a lot in the process. Good job hanging in there!
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

Caneyscud

Way to go Bryan!  Boxes looked great!  You did your homework!  This weekend, come in with guns ablazing, flames shooting out of the ceramic and intimidate the competition - make them shake in their tennies.  Yard and Pool is in the Building!!!

BTW - remind me to tie you some Slumpbuster flies!

Did it rain - contests can be especially challenging when raining.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

TestRocket

Way to go Bryan,

Glad it was fun and a learning experience for y'all!

begolf25

Thanks everyone! We are ready to jump back into it this weekend. This competition is in Raystown, PA if anyone is in the area. It is a PA State Championship event also sanctioned by KCBS. This week the competition is going to be even tougher. We will be facing some of the same great teams from last week and a few others you might recognize such as 3 Eyz BBQ and Diva Q. She was just on BBQ Pitmasters a couple weeks ago.

http://raystown.org/barbeque.html

We are gonna tweak our flavors a bit and hopefully get our hands on some hardware!

begolf25

Quote from: Caneyscud on September 14, 2010, 05:30:16 AM

Did it rain - contests can be especially challenging when raining.

The weather was outstanding. Sunny and 70 during the day and lower 50's at night. Hoping for more of the same this weekend. I can see how rain could make things very tough.

ArnieM

Go get 'em Bryan!  What made some of the other dishes better?  Flavor, texture, presentation?  Your dishes sure looked good to me. :D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

BuyLowSellHigh

Great job Bryan!  Keep at it and you will be the talk of the "circuit".  From what I have seen and learned, it is a game of persistence and perfection.  Hang tough and you'll soon be a legend.

One of the things I learned this summer from a guy who is a very accomplished KCBS competitor, as he stated it, to win you can't stray very far from the pack.  He suggested going to a few, get sample to taste from the top three at two three comps and you'd then know the winning taste.  He added that the winning taste (i.e., "the pack") changes and evolves "at a glacial pace".  He also added that as you get to know some of the top names they will share another common tidbit -- they they cook for themselves and their family is not they way they cook for competition (meaning they play not to their taste but to the pack standard).

Now go kick some butt ... and ribs, and brisket, and chicken, and .. what about that Chef's Choice Pizza?
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

pensrock

I might try to get there on Sat. I know the judging is not till Sunday but it would still be cool to check things out. I think its a good 1-1/2 hour drive from here to get there. I'll see whats going on Sat.  :)

begolf25

Quote from: pensrock on September 15, 2010, 03:24:35 PM
I might try to get there on Sat. I know the judging is not till Sunday but it would still be cool to check things out. I think its a good 1-1/2 hour drive from here to get there. I'll see whats going on Sat.  :)

Hope you can stop by! We will have plenty of adult beverages for you to sample :)

If any of you get a chance, check out BBQ Pitmasters tonight. 3 Eyz BBQ, a team that we will be competing against will be on the show tonight. That makes two teams from BBQ Pitmasters in this competition this weekend. It would sure feel good to beat a few of their entries.

pensrock

Sorry I did not make it, hope you did well. I was getting ready to come down and found out I had to go to my nieces for her sons fifth birthday.