• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Total Noob in Panic Mode and Needs Help!!

Started by jbellon, September 11, 2010, 07:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbellon

First off, I believe this is in the right forum!!

That said, I apologize for my "noobness"   ;D

I am smoking a pork shoulder tomorrow morning and I have a few questions concerning techniques with maintaining heat.

I think I am pretty set up otherwise and I'll give a quick run-down of what I do (i've done this in the oven for the last few years).

1) Brine w/ sugar/salt/pepper/ginger/garlic/molasses
2) Rub the pork with paprika, pepper, salt, dry mustard, raw cane sugar, cayenne
3) re-rub the morning before I put into the oven and let it sit for 1 hour.
4) slow cooked in the oven for 8-10 hours

So, obviously I am replacing 4 w/ smoking on my vertical smoker.  I have pecan wood and apple wood.  I couldn't find any maple in the stores around my town so no luck there!  I am leaning towards the pecan wood for the first experience.

So here are my questions...

1) How much charcoal do I start with
2) How many wood chunks do I put in.  I read somewhere if I use to much and I don't have ventilation I get creosote??
3) How often, in your experiences do I need to put more coal and wood in?  I have purchased a charcoal chimney to make it easier, as I don't think I want to throw "raw" coal on the ones that would still be in the smoker.
4) Do I put water or other liquids in the water pan or is that used for specific types of cooking?

Any other tips that could be useful for a noob would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much guys and gals!

~Jim

Quarlow

Sorry I can't help you with those type of smokers. I don't really know what a vertical smoker is. I have the Bradley OBS. But someone will be along soon to help you.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

GusRobin

I think you are in the wrong forum. This is for the Bradley electric smoker. Assuming you mean the Bradley, here are some answers
Quote1) How much charcoal do I start with
Are you talking a Bradley Smoker? It is an electric smoker and does not use charcoal
Quote2) How many wood chunks do I put in.  I read somewhere if I use to much and I don't have ventilation I get creosote??
3) How often, in your experiences do I need to put more coal and wood in?  I have purchased a charcoal chimney to make it easier, as I don't think I want to throw "raw" coal on the ones that would still be in the smoker.
Again, this is an electric smoker (if you are talking the Bradley) no charcoal and it uses wood pucks, For a pork should I would use 3-4 hrs (9-12pucks)
Quote4) Do I put water or other liquids in the water pan or is that used for specific types of cooking?

The water bowl is used to catch the spent puck and to catch the grease drippings. You can use water or more or less whatever liquid you want to use.

QuoteAny other tips that could be useful for a noob would be greatly appreciated!!

read the manual
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Quarlow

I know some of the guys here have vertical smokers so you are probably still in the best place for info. I just don't know anyhting about them and have no familiarity with them. I am sure you will get your answers here. Cumulativly these guys are know-it-alls.  ;D ;D ;D And I mean that in a good way.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

jbellon

Quote from: Quarlow on September 11, 2010, 07:20:04 PM
I know some of the guys here have vertical smokers so you are probably still in the best place for info. I just don't know anyhting about them and have no familiarity with them. I am sure you will get your answers here. Cumulativly these guys are know-it-alls.  ;D ;D ;D And I mean that in a good way.

ya it is not an electric bradley  :(

i got it as a gift, but its what I got to work with...now i just gotta figure out what im doing!!

Thanks for the help though quarlow!!

~jim

GusRobin

I would look for the Weber Smokey Mountain forum if you don''t get any help here. That's the best I can offer you, sorry
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

ArnieM

Quote from: jbellon on September 11, 2010, 07:01:37 PM

I think I am pretty set up otherwise and I'll give a quick run-down of what I do (i've done this in the oven for the last few years).

1) Brine w/ sugar/salt/pepper/ginger/garlic/molasses
2) Rub the pork with paprika, pepper, salt, dry mustard, raw cane sugar, cayenne
3) re-rub the morning before I put into the oven and let it sit for 1 hour.
4) slow cooked in the oven for 8-10 hours

Looks good so far.

So, obviously I am replacing 4 w/ smoking on my vertical smoker.  I have pecan wood and apple wood.  I couldn't find any maple in the stores around my town so no luck there!  I am leaning towards the pecan wood for the first experience.

So here are my questions...

1) How much charcoal do I start with
Enough  :D  Load the chimney up and dump it in when the charcoal is glowing/gray.
2) How many wood chunks do I put in.  I read somewhere if I use to much and I don't have ventilation I get creosote??
Maybe five chunks at a time.  If it's good dried wood, there's no creosote.  I prefer apple or hickory on pork.
Raw coals will work.  Trying to put burning coals in there will be a pain, literally.  When your smoking wood burns out, throw a few more hunks in there.One of these units takes a lot of attention.
4) Do I put water or other liquids in the water pan or is that used for specific types of cooking?
You should have water in the pan, or any other non-alcoholic liquid you might like; apple juice for example.

Any other tips that could be useful for a noob would be greatly appreciated!!
For the most part, use the lower vents to control the temp.  The top vents should be pretty much open.  It's somewhat difficult to control the temp.  I gave up on my Weber Rocky Mountain smoker a few years ago.

Thanks so much guys and gals!

~Jim

Good luck!
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

jbellon

many many thanks!!

And I am starting the process now, I'll report back in 12 hours after we have consumed!!!

:D

ArnieM

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.