• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

how do you make fall off the bone ribs?

Started by bears fan, September 22, 2010, 06:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bears fan

I'm trying to figure out how to make fall of the bone ribs.  Here is what I'm going to try, please tell me if I'm going wrong with this.  I'm going to smoke them for 3 hours at 225 degrees and then pull them and wrap them in foil with a splash of apple juice in the foil packet and continue to cook at the same temperature for another 4 hours.   

The last few times I made ribs, I did the 3-2-1 method and it seems like the last hour maybe dried them out and made them so they didn't fall off the bone.  I don't care for sauced up ribs since that is something I can have on the side so I don't think I need the hour outside of the foil with sauce on them.   

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated as I have yet to succeed with ribs the way I like them. 

FLBentRider

Spare ribs or baby backs?

If baby backs, I would check them after the third hour in the foil.

I have cooked ribs too long, I ended up with "fall apart" ribs.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

KyNola

Hal beat me to this one.  "Fall off the bone ribs" means cooked them too long.  Most fall off the bone ribs were steamed too long in the foil pouch. 

Bears Fan, don't get me wrong.  If that's how you like 'em, go for it.  Your time and all looks about right.

hal4uk

I'm sorry Bear, for the short answer... I'm back...
The thing is --- ideally --- you want the meat to pull clean from the bone when you bite it.
If it falls apart by itself, that's just...  not good.

Search some of the rib threads here...
Most of us like to see the meat pulling back from the bone, and for the rack to have a good "bendy" feeling (is that a word?) when ya pick it up by one end with tongs.

When it pulls clean from the bone with a bite, and it melts in your mouth --- you nailed it.

That said... --- that's just my opinion...  and I don't cook my ribs to suit anyone but me - you do yours however it makes ya smile.  ;D
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

DTAggie

I agree with KyNola and Hal.  If they "fall off", when you slice them the meat falls off and you are no longer picking a rib to eat.

Pachanga

I concur with Hal and KyNola and DTAggie.

I like my ribs to have a little tug but come off the bone clean.  That is acceptable practice in most good BBQ joints that I grew up with.

I smoke mine naked and pull them when they tell me they are ready.

A slather and/or mop will help with the drying out.

Pachanga

Ka Honu

Like most of the previous commentators, I shudder at "fall off the bone" ribs but that's the only way SWMBO likes them (one of her only serious faults).  I generally just leave hers in foil for the last hour while the rest are developing a finish uncovered.  Disgusting, but it seems to work for her.

Caneyscud

I'm not an advocate of either fall off the bone ribs, sauce on ribs nor foiling.  But I do know that many use foil and make some great ribs - just not the way I prefer.  There is an idea that foiling, adding juice will guarantee juciness and tenderness.  While it can, you also have to be aware that foiling is not a panacea for bad technique or an opportunity to forget about them until you get back home.  Due to pure physics, the foiling intensifies the cooking effect.  Things can get overdone far faster than you think.  I think it is a good idea not to seal the foil completely. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

sodak

Bears Fan,

You come up one flight of stairs in your office and ask if you can have a package of mine!  Vikings fans have this one mastered!  Now, if only we could get that football thing down....

bears fan

Alright, you have got me convinced what I'm really looking for is the take one tug and it pulls off the bone.  To which I have yet to figure out how to get to that stage.  I'm going to do spare ribs and I'll try the 3-2-1 method again and see what happens; however, I don't think I'll put a sauce on the ribs for the last hour.  I'll try spritzing them with some apple juice.

classicrockgriller

I use 4/5 apple juice and some olive oil.

Be sure and shake before spraying. ;D  (the Bottle)

Gigi10

Hi, so what is the best way to make baby back ribs on the smoker?  The last batch we made were very tasty but  a little tough.  Thanks !

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Gigi10 on October 27, 2012, 06:40:00 AM
Hi, so what is the best way to make baby back ribs on the smoker?  The last batch we made were very tasty but  a little tough.  Thanks !
smoke them for 3 hours or so, foil them tight with some apple juice or whatever you like for 2 hrs, cool them again naked for about 1 hr
look here

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike