Greater Vancouver get together

Started by RossP, September 22, 2010, 07:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarlow

How the heck did I miss this. I guess I have be working to many hours lately. I will be there and any day is good for us.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

RossP

Don't know how you missed this one Q I thought you were mad at me :'( glad the two of you can make it.
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

Quarlow

Oh how could I be mad at you.  ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

RossP

OK so lets do this on November 6th a Saturday at let say
6:00pm. Let me know if you are coming and how many,
I will contact Boonies to make a reservation.
http://www.boonies.ca/

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

RossP

Just got an E-mail from Boonies, they are no longer in Business as of today.
It looks like they have been kicked out of their location. So we need a different spot
for the get together. Any ideas?

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

punchlock

How about the Big Nickel in Sudbury Ontario? It sure would make my trip shorter.....

Quarlow

Quote from: RossP on October 21, 2010, 12:54:18 PM
Just got an E-mail from Boonies, they are no longer in Business as of today.
It looks like they have been kicked out of their location. So we need a different spot
for the get together. Any ideas?

Ross
Doesn't that just figure eh.

OBS
BBQ

StickyDan

That sucks.  I've been wanting to try that place for ages. 
Here's a few ideas.
Memphis Blues
Ozarks
Nicks Spaghetti house - The Ribs aren't smoked but they're pretty good. 

Slamdunk

Ross, Langley seemed to be pretty central to most of us. Is there another place in Langley that you like?

The new liquor laws are really hitting the pubs and restaurants hard. I know of one pub who's sales are down 50% !! How much longer it can survive is anyone's guess.

Just saw this mornings news stating 20000 violations in the first month of the new laws !!! Yikes !!

Whoops! The 20000 was for use of cell phone tickets. But new liquor law violations are now at 1400.

RossP

We could go to Ozarks, what does everyone else think, there is also bbq joint in Mission bit that may be a little far for everyone.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

Quarlow

Ozarks is fine with me. What are the new laws? I have not heard a thing about them other than we have new laws.

OBS
BBQ

Slamdunk

I've never been to Ozarks but the review here http://dinehere.ca/langley/ozarks-famous-bbq sound pretty good. My wife and I are in!!

Quarlow, the new liquor laws... police can stop you for no reason (ie: no probable cause), ask you (demand) that you take a breathalyzer test and if you blow over .05, well, lets just say that the penalties are pretty substantial. This site sums it up pretty well, http://www.duanestorey.com/news/bcs-new-liquor-laws/

The problem most people are having with the new laws  is that nobody can really tell what number of drinks will put them over the .05 limit. For some people one glass of ie: wine/beer is all it takes, for others maybe two glasses of wine/beer. People's metabolisms are different and consequently the results will differ from person to person. I think it was "Mythbusters" where they showed -after everybody drinking the same amount of alcohol - a little woman of maybe 140 pounds having a lower rate than a 200 pound guy. The effects of alcohol are also affected by the amount of food in your stomach. So whether you have dinner with your one glass of wine or not, will affect how you "blow" on the breathalyzer.

One of our local newspapers stated that a 160 pound guy will be over .05 after one drink.

The law removes the principle of innocent until proven guilty (the police don't have to have any probable cause to pull you over ie: you can be driving under the speed limit, not weaving all over the road, not running red lights etc, and the police can pull you over. Forgetting about the liquor laws for a second - we are all now subject to the whims of the police to pull us over while we are driving. I don't like this elimination of my one of my freedoms.

Don't get me wrong, I am supportive and appreciative of our police and their efforts- I wouldn't want their job for a day- but I think this law is the start of a slippery slope where our collective rights are being eroded.

Sorry for the rant....

StickyDan

You forgot to mention that doing 40km over the speed limit automatically gets your vehicle impounded on top of the huge fines. 
I did know about the "no reason" to pull you over thing.  That's pretty scary.  Won't be long before they come into my house and tell me what to watch on TV.  Guess my grandfather risked in his life in WW2 for nothing.

Back to the point, I'm in for Ozarks.

Quarlow

Yes and that direction of law coupled with the gun registery makes it that much closer to them showing up at my door for no reason and hauling away my guns. Makes me nervous.

OBS
BBQ

albertapoacher

I just returned from Alberta the other night, and had the privilege to sit next to a local RCMP officer from my local area of Victoria. We had a long chat about this new 0.05% law and how it truly came to be, and why. The fear about 1 drink in a 160lb man is horse 0. This officer is certified to run the toxicology tests inside the station, after the accused has failed the roadside breathalyzer. <Which I used to have to take daily before work> He stated that my wife of 105lbs would be able to have 2-3 drinks and still not fail the roadside if she eats regular meals. Which we tested ha ha!! And 5 to 8 drinks for myself being 260 lbs and a regular drinker and obviously regular eater before I failed the 0.05%. The penalties for the offence are minimal and more of a deterrent when compared to an impaired. And quite honestly the law is still on the fence whether it would truly hold up in court if challenged, but having a liberal govt in makes it so a minority vote puts laws in till defeated. To date no one has challenged it as you are instantly guilty with no recourse.

This law was brought in as a cash grab as he pointed out to me, as anyone charged with a DUI blowing under 0.12% will 9 times out of 10 get out of a DUI with legal assistance. It is terribly frustrating he stated and unless people basically plead guilty right off, they get out of it due to the mechanics of the machine and inaccuracy of the testing. I have tested this theory sadly as well, when I was more immature... 5000-7000$ and you will get out of any impaired thrown at you with proper council in Alberta or British Columbia. <the toxicology machine is tested once a month due to the expensive cost to have it calibrated, and is proven inaccurate after 3 days of use in most stations.> BUT hopefully, its a wake up call to not drive over the legal limit at all, if you ever are foolish enough to have to go through that!

Basically the idea is that if people get the idea that they cant drink more than one drink on the way home from work at their local tavern, then they wont stop at all. Unfortunately for most business owners this is killing them. Combined with our new tax, the HST, most small neighbourhood pubs are dying fast and its a damn shame. 

Being a small company owner myself, the new tax is killing new home builds and now I'm even losing the places I enjoy having a pint! I still don't worry about the new 0.05% law and probably never will, nor should any of you up here in BC Canada. Moderation is the key to life, just be aware that 2 drinks should be your maximum for any sized person and you will be fine.

Sorry just ranting and sharing some knowledge. I seem to be the guy who learns all this the hard way haha.