• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Deer Jerky Help

Started by SmokinScott1, September 25, 2010, 02:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinScott1

I have been reading over your post for a while now and have a question for you.  How important is using some type of cure for Deer Jerky.  I just sliced up a rump roast 1/4 inch thick.  Put it in a marinade that I just came up with using Worcestershire sauce, a little bit of seasoning salt, pepper, etc.  Am I going to have a problem with bad stuff happening while I am smoking/dehydrating in the Bradley.  Using such low temps.

Sailor

I have never smoked deer but I would think that meat is meat and that bad stuff grows between 40F and 140F and one would want to use a cure.  Using cure #1 is 1 teaspoon per every 5 lbs of meat.  I would say that you should use a cure to be on the safe side.  The expert jerky makers will be by shortly to weigh in on this I am sure.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

FLBentRider

I have not made jerky without cure, I use beef.

I have seen recipes without cure, but they have a lot of salt, which is also a curing agent, but has to be used in much larger quantities than cure#1 and results in a saltier tasting product.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

SmokinScott1

I have two problems.  One I don't have a scale to know how much the meat weighs, and I have all ready had it marinating for several hours.  Could I add the cure to it tomorrow and still be ok.

SmokinScott1

Could I just throw a couple of tsps. of tender quick in and be ok?

Sailor

I don't know that much about tender quick or what the ratio is compared to cure #1.  I don't see why you can't add the cure to the stuff that you have getting all nice and happy now.  I think I would take a bit of your liquid that you have and put it in a cup and then add the cure to that and make sure it gets all Dissolved and then add it back and mix well.  You should be good to go after that.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

NePaSmoKer

All is well with how you want to do it. Just start your smoker at 160* for 3 hours.

SmokinScott1

Thanks for the help.  Thought I had screwed up a pile of good deer meet.

Mailman

I just bought after market cure for jerky. Its by LEM the original flavor. I will be cutting back strap for it. And will smoke with hickory. Nepa you say 3 hours at 160* will do it?
If to error is human. Than I'm more human than most.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Mailman on October 04, 2010, 08:18:35 PM
I just bought after market cure for jerky. Its by LEM the original flavor. I will be cutting back strap for it. And will smoke with hickory. Nepa you say 3 hours at 160* will do it?

Do you have a PID on your smoker?

More than likely it will take longer than 3 hours. Start at 140 ramping to 160. When the jerky bends its done. If it snaps its over done. Its all up to you though, if you like chewy or brittle.

Mailman

More than likely it will take longer than 3 hours. Start at 140 ramping to 160. When the jerky bends its done. If it snaps its over done. Its all up to you though, if you like chewy or brittle.
[/quote]
I have BDS And I dont like brittle. Want to chew and pull teeth out not break them off. Thanks for the help. Have you tried LEM? i almost bought HM but you just sprinkle it on. You soak it in the LEM cure.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Mailman on October 04, 2010, 08:29:01 PM

I have BDS And I dont like brittle. Want to chew and pull teeth out not break them off. Thanks for the help. Have you tried LEM? i almost bought HM but you just sprinkle it on. You soak it in the LEM cure.
[/quote]

I like chewy also. Just check around the 4 hour mark, some might be a little redish color and some darker. Yeah i like the LEM and and AC Legg. I'm not a fan of HM.

NePaSmoKer

If you want a nice taste, add 2 T of tomato sauce or ketchup to the marinade  ;D  MMMMM

Mailman

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on October 04, 2010, 08:36:59 PM
If you want a nice taste, add 2 T of tomato sauce or ketchup to the marinade  ;D  MMMMM
How much does that change the flavor? Does it just give it a mater taste?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Mailman on October 04, 2010, 08:46:26 PM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on October 04, 2010, 08:36:59 PM
How much does that change the flavor? Does it just give it a mater taste?

Gives it color and a mild sweetness.

How many pounds you doing? The 2 T is for 5 pounds.