Wanting to do Chicken and Ribs today.

Started by thirtydaZe, October 09, 2010, 10:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thirtydaZe

With the cook times being so far apart, is it possible to put the ribs in and start cooking for an hour or so without smoke, then when it's time to put the chicken in, turn the smoke on at that time?

I would like to do both at the same time, but am kind of scratching my head as to how to accomplish this.

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

ArnieM

You can do both at the same time; maximum use of the smoke.

First, put the chicken under the ribs.  You don't want raw chicken juice dripping on the ribs.

I'd spathcock the chicken.  Cut out the back and breast bones to get two halves.

Start the ribs on a three hour smoke.  Put the chicken in after one hour.  Two hours of smoke on the chicken should be enough.

Remove the chicken when the thigh IT is 145-150 and wrap it up.

Finish cooking the ribs.  When done, let them rest 30 minutes or so.  During that time, get the chicken on a grill to finish it off.  A little Q sauce doesn't hurt.

This should allow you to get everything done at the same time.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

thirtydaZe

Quote from: ArnieM on October 09, 2010, 10:34:37 AM
You can do both at the same time; maximum use of the smoke.

First, put the chicken under the ribs.  You don't want raw chicken juice dripping on the ribs.

I'd spathcock the chicken.  Cut out the back and breast bones to get two halves.

Start the ribs on a three hour smoke.  Put the chicken in after one hour.  Two hours of smoke on the chicken should be enough.

Remove the chicken when the thigh IT is 145-150 and wrap it up.

Finish cooking the ribs.  When done, let them rest 30 minutes or so.  During that time, get the chicken on a grill to finish it off.  A little Q sauce doesn't hurt.

This should allow you to get everything done at the same time.

thanks for the advice.

i went for 2 hours of smoke total on the ribs too, our first attempt at smoking we did ribs for 3 hours and was a bit strong for our initial liking.

just wrapped the ribs in foil for the next 2 hours.

about to crack my beer and go enjoy the outside and some more football.

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16