• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Problems with Maverick ET-7 temp reading WAY off

Started by dreys50, October 15, 2010, 11:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreys50

I have a Maverick ET-7 and had encountered this issue last smoke, shrugged it off and forgot til today when I was ready to put a butt in. The reading I get is completely off the charts (i.e. 189 for butt out of the fridge!!), this happens on both the main monitor and the wireless "pager". It also occurs with both probes, although one probe registers in the 250s when I do this. It does not matter which port I plug the probe into, the reading is always wacky.
I put fresh batteries in both units and still same thing. I actually put a probe into my freezer and monitored it- it went down very slowly until it read about accurate, but as soon as I removed it, the reading skyrocketed into the 200s again within seconds.
Has any one else run into a similar problem, or know what might be the issue here? Im confused, a probe dying would be understandable, but the fact that both did this at the same time is puzzling and makes me think I did something.

KevinG

I haven't seen that yet, but I've heard that if you get the probes wet, you might as well toss them and buy new ones.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

dreys50

Thats what Im seeing both on old threads here and amazon reviews. Im usually pretty diligent about wiping them with a cloth and not getting them soaked but I think ive been careless the past few times. Live and learn.

Tenpoint5

The replacement probes are better in my opinion. They have a longer cable from the probe to the base unit.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

beefmann

sounds like you  have bad probes, replace them

thirtydaZe

Quote from: KevinG on October 15, 2010, 11:38:34 AM
I haven't seen that yet, but I've heard that if you get the probes wet, you might as well toss them and buy new ones.

this makes me think that soaking my probes in the sink last night may have been a bad idea.

if you can't get 'em wet, how do you clean them?

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

KevinG

You have to keep water away from the opening where the solid metal meets the flexible metal. Some people have put epoxy on that area, but I just keep that section up away from any water. I usually pinch that area with two fingers and clean the lower section with my other hand.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

squirtthecat

I use moist towelettes to clean mine w/ a squirt of hand sanitizer..

pik5el

Quote from: thirtydaZe on October 18, 2010, 11:22:12 AM
Quote from: KevinG on October 15, 2010, 11:38:34 AM

this makes me think that soaking my probes in the sink last night may have been a bad idea.

if you can't get 'em wet, how do you clean them?

Same thing happened to me a little while ago.  The wife actually put the probe in the dishwasher and it never read temps correctly again.  I was able to order a replacement probe and it works perfectly again.