• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

GONNA NEED SOME HELP ON GETTING STARTED

Started by SL2010, November 07, 2010, 05:13:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SL2010

Good morning my wonder wife just got me Kitchen Aid Stand up Mixer and is ordering a grinder and stuffer combo I can not wait so i need to start simple i want to learn bout this process i know nothing except how to EAT every time that we go to any butcher shop i always come out with a extra 5 pounds of beef sticks or hot sticks i really want to learn how this is done so any help on places to read up on cause i really want to hit a home run my first time up thanks 

FLBentRider

I have the stuffer attachment. You can have it if you pay shipping.

Most say it don't work so well.

The grinder is decent.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

RAF128

What you're getting will work at first but as you get into bigger batches of sausage you'll find it's too slow.   B ut it's a start and like everyone else you start at the beginning and expand your number of tools/toys ;).

SL2010

Thank you how much do you  want for shipping i live in PA zip code 16150 i really appreciate it

SL2010

i will be doing 10 pound batches its 300 watt mixer i hope that it will do the job

Sailor

Quote from: SL2010 on November 07, 2010, 05:38:08 AM
i will be doing 10 pound batches its 300 watt mixer i hope that it will do the job
Since Christmas is just around the corner you might want to start dropping hints that you would like a 5 lb vertical stuffer.  You can pick up a 5 lb stuffer from Northern Tools http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=stuffer&Nty=1&D=stuffer&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial for $99.00 or you can get one at LEM https://www.lemproducts.com/category/s?keyword=stuffer for $139.00.

Doing 10lb batches using the grinder as a stuffer will drive you to drink.  Not saying anything is wrong with drinking  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

SL2010

I know it will timely but i am the only one in my house that eat this stuff my wife is a vegetarian and my kids don't like smoked stuff oh-well their loss right

NePaSmoKer

After your 10 pounds you will be wanting to ditch the KA and go with a stuffer.

Where in PA?

GusRobin

I just started making sausage and was given the advice to buy "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing" by Rytek Kutas. (the 4th edition is the latest). You can get it on Amazon for about $17. It will answer most of your questions and give you a large number of recipes.

I don't have a KA but from everything I hear, the grinder is ok but the stuffer sucks. I don't know what you are paying for it but if your budget can handle it I would get a separate stuffer, preferably the handcrank verticles that the folks have described. It gives you much more control. I bought a decent grinder (low end but decent) and while the stuffer suffices, if you are going to make sausage on a regular basis, I would put a separate stuffer on my list.

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

ArnieM

First, I agree with Gus on the book.  It's good.

The KA grinder will handle small loads.  I had a KA stuffer and trashed it.  It took my wife and I about 10-15 minutes to get two Italian sausages stuffed.  I prefer not to fight with my tools.

I now have the LEM vertical 5 pound stuffer and their smallest grinder.  They make stuffing fun.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

SL2010

thank you for all input once again i live just out side of Sharon pa in the woods i still want to try stuffing with my K-A I'm sure that  bigger is in further but it all depends on how much i use it for that thanks again

goblism

I am going to be upgrading my 5lb verticle to a 15lb verticle in a few weeks, if your interested I could sell you my 5lb for $65 shipped to your door, works fanastic just I do bigger batches when I make sausage.

goblism

I suggest getting this grinder if I had to buy a cheaper model
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_36989_36989#

I am using a LEM #22 and that thing can really push some meat through, but than again we have done nearly 10 hogs this year and a couple of deer.

SL2010

ArnieM

I only have a couple of thoughts.  It looks good but it it's truly 1800 Watts, that translates to 15 amps at 120 volts.  Most kitchen breakers are rated at 15 amps.  It should probably run on a 20 amp breaker.

I have the littlest LEM, 575 Watts and have never run into anything I couldn't grind - http://meatprocessingproducts.com/lem1113.html.  It's $95 and using the coupon code MPP2010 at check out will get you $10 off. 

The plastic parts are a waste.  I threw away my grinder stuffing tubes and got the LEM 5 pound stuffer.  An auger-based grinder just doesn't work that well for stuffing.

If you try it and don't like it maybe you can send it back.

Good luck in your quest.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.