• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

All the talk about Greg's Spicy sticks, I figure I better try it

Started by mikeradio, November 15, 2010, 02:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

Quote from: FLBentRider on November 16, 2010, 08:16:15 AM
Quote from: KyNola on November 16, 2010, 07:08:05 AM
And I've got a LEM stuffer and Gander Mountain grinder......still in the box. :D

Mine are still @ the store.
You need to go get them FLB might cut down on that 400 lbs of Jerky you made last month!!! ;D Might turn it into 200 jerky and 200 snack sticks
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

dAWGS

ok maybe a dumb question but when youre making the snack sticks what position is the vent in?   open? closed?

Tenpoint5

Mine was 7/8 open but then Mine is stuck in that position ALL the time. I can't remember when I moved it last.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

mikeradio

The vent on the smoker, I would go full open, your trying to dry them out so you want all the moisture out.

Sailor

When I did the stixs I had the vent full open to dry.  Then I shut to 1/2 open to smoke.  My vent gets stuck in the last position after a smoke so I have to move it to loosen it up.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

pensrock

Vent full open.

I'm still looking for a box to put something into.  ???  ;D

Sailor

Quote from: pensrock on November 16, 2010, 01:42:51 PM

I'm still looking for a box to put something into.  ???  ;D

I so wish that I would have drawn your name for the Christmas exchange.  I would have had a blast.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

dAWGS

whats the maximum time you can keep the stix in the fridge after stuffing and before smoking?

pensrock

I do not know the actual answer but I would not be afraid to leve them 3-5 days. I would put them into a zip lock bag though. I'm sure Nepas or Habs can tell you the actual time and why.

dAWGS

reason im asking is i have time to mix and stuff but wont be able to smoke till like 4 days later

Sailor

I would not be afraid to mix and stuff them and put them in the fridge for 4 days if you have cure in.  With that said, I have not taken a class in food safety and I have been known to use my pocket knife to cut fish bait and wipe in on my pants that have not been washed for a week and then use it to cut an apple to eat.  ;D

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: dAWGS on November 21, 2010, 06:55:12 AM
reason im asking is i have time to mix and stuff but wont be able to smoke till like 4 days later

I wouldnt let them sit in fridge past 2 days. The collagen casing will get mushy and start to break down.

Sailor

And there you have it.  Never thought about the casing breaking down.  I learned something today.  Thanks for the input Rick.

pensrock

So the meat would be ok, its the casings that will fail. Good to know.  :)

NePaSmoKer

The moisture in the meat starts to break down the collagen after 2 days in fridge. They get mushy really thin and gooey  :-X

The meat would still be good, just hard to re-stuff.