• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

pikeman_95 Summer Sausage kicked up a notch.

Started by Sailor, November 25, 2010, 05:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailor

Made up a 5 pound batch of Kirby's Summer Sausage but kicked it up a notch.  I took 10 fresh Jalapenos and washed them and cut the stems off.  Then sliced them and put them in the chopper to dice up.  Mixed in 8 oz of High Temp cheddar.  Put 2 hours of hickory to them and brought them to 152 IT in the Bradley.  I took the left over mix from the stuffer tube and the bottom of the stuffer and made a tiny roll and smoked it along with the chubs.  They just came out and cooled down and are now blooming.  The tiny test roll is gone!  I could not resist taking a testing sample and forgot to take a photo of it before it went down the hatch.  Will bloom for a few hours and then into the fridge overnight.  Will take a shot tomorrow when I break them open.

Just came in from outside.

Hanging to bloom.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

islandgirl

Hi Sailor,

I am new to the forum and trying to learn..
Could you tell me what blooming is? :)
Also those look really yummy.. could you tell me the type of casing?

thanks
ig

bundy

Great Looking SS Sailor, Don't tell me your #1 lets you hang the sausage in the laundry room to bloom!! :o

Sailor

Quote from: bundy on November 25, 2010, 06:10:44 PM
Great Looking SS Sailor, Don't tell me your #1 lets you hang the sausage in the laundry room to bloom!! :o
Shhhhhhhh   ;D It is the best place that I have found.  The AC vent is right above and blows right on them.  She kinda frowned when I tried to put two chairs on the dinning table. 

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Sailor on November 25, 2010, 06:19:41 PM
Quote from: bundy on November 25, 2010, 06:10:44 PM
Shhhhhhhh   ;D It is the best place that I have found.  The AC vent is right above and blows right on them.  She kinda frowned when I tried to put two chairs on the dinning table. 

Secrets are good.......Mine bloom in the laundry room too  ;D

Sailor

Quote from: islandgirl on November 25, 2010, 05:34:29 PM
Hi Sailor,

thanks
ig
Welcome to the forum!

My understanding is that blooming just brings out the color of the smoked sausage gives it a deep smokey color.

The casing that I am using for these chubs is the fibrous  2 1/2 inch by 20 inch casing.  You peel the casing off and you will have a nice dark rind.  I ordered these here https://www.lemproducts.com/product/3854/Fibrous_Casings

Sailor

Hey Rick, She won't let me keep the chips on the shelf like you do though  ;D

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: islandgirl on November 25, 2010, 05:34:29 PM
Hi Sailor,

thanks
ig

Sailor is right

Small chub casings, normally clear, But you can get them in Mahogany color too.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Sailor on November 25, 2010, 06:27:43 PM
Hey Rick, She won't let me keep the chips on the shelf like you do though  ;D

I try to hide the chips but she finds em and puts em on the shelf like she is saying...HA......I found them again  :D

watchdog56

Those sound like they are going to be real spicey to me.

pikeman_95

Those look great Sailor

How did the test sample taste. Take a few pictures when you cut into one of those babes tomorrow. I have been busy making stuffer parts and it has been real cold so am holding up on making any sausage for a while. Besides I have another hunting season starting this next Wed. This is a slug and black powder season and goes on until the 15th of January. It is cold hunting but can be profitable. Looking forward to putting some meat in the freezer. Then it is sausage time. I am out of SS and getting low on jerky.

check on you tomorrow.

Kirby

Sailor

Out of the fridge this morning and took the casings off.  Sliced up some for my snacking and vac them with the little portable vac using ziplock bags.  Cut the other chubs in hunks and vac sealed them for the freezer.  I think resting in the fridge took some of the "bite" (spicy) out of them.  They had a very nice flavor.  I just gave a slice to my official taste tester and she said "yep you got winner".  I asked if they were too hot (she is not a big spicy person) and she said no they are fine.  I will be making them again.  

Out of the casing and ready to slice.

Money shot.

Vac sealed and going into the freezer.

Tenpoint5

Look Really Good Jim! Now I have to go find the recipe again I cant remember if I wrote it down or not.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pikeman_95

Jim

Great pictures and boy they look good. I have never doctored the recipe but I am going to give it a try. When you say high temp cheese can you expand on that. Is it something special???

Kirby