• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoked Salmon Results

Started by RFT, November 27, 2010, 09:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RFT

Hello all.

Just got done smoking some Upper Columbia River King Salmon and it turned out great.

I used "Scotts" fish brine and let the fish brine for just about 20 hrs.
I  preheated the smoker to about 220 degrees, loaded it with 6 Alder briquettes and let her rip.  
It was about 20 degrees F. here and with 3 racks of fish in it I could not get the temp above about 175F with the slider at full on, which is ok but I wanted a little more heat.  Smoker is out of the wind in on of those Costco carports.  I had the smoker plugged into a 100FT long light duty extension cord so I went out and bought a 12gage 50 footer and surprisingly I got more heat  ;D but only about 10 more degrees.  Well,  Being a Big Chief smoker user for years (get ready for a shameless plug) I have an ebay business and make smoker blankets to fit the Chiefs, I took one of those and wrapped it around the OBS and that took the heat up to about 220 degrees F, a little to hot but at least I was able to control the heat now instead of having the slider pegged.

Here are the results.

"Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced."
N.P.

Jim O

Great looking salmon,RFT.

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

RossP

Looks real good there RFT Nice looking blankets for the Chiefs, are you planning on making ones for the Bradley?
Those of us that live in colder places.

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

KyNola

OU812

Man, that looks good enough to eat.  :D  Really.

I'm the only one at our house that eats fish so I dont make it very often but when I do i'm in heaven.

I wish we could get some, real, fresh, king salmon around here with out payin $10/lb.

You got any more info on that "Scotts brine"?

Thanks

RFT

Thanks guys.  Yes I am thinking about making em for the Bradleys. It really did help in the 30*F and below temps.  The thing is the bradley is taller then what I can get for material by about 6 inchs but I don't think that will be a problem.  I am going to fabricate one for the OBS and use it a few times before I decide to ebay any.  I will  get pics up after I am done.

Info on scotts brine http://www.scottsjerkycure.com/  Seems about $2 more then I can buy it local for.
N.P.

RFT

Moved. OK. Whatever! ::) This topic really was not about a recipe or brining fish but was about smoking results, performance, in my OBS and how I went about achieving those results.  So let me get this straight. If I smoke poultry I should post in Poultry section and Beef in Beef section and so on?  But if I want to mod my Bradley I should post in the OBS section? 
N.P.

squirtthecat

Quote from: RFT on December 01, 2010, 06:06:24 AM
Moved. OK. Whatever! ::) This topic really was not about a recipe or brining fish but was about smoking results, performance, in my OBS and how I went about achieving those results.  So let me get this straight. If I smoke poultry I should post in Poultry section and Beef in Beef section and so on?  But if I want to mod my Bradley I should post in the OBS section? 

Yeah, it just makes threads a little easier to find..   

I missed the earlier thread on this - what blanket material are you using?

RFT

OK. Sorry for misplacing topic. 

I am using foil wrapped bubble shield insulation.
N.P.