• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Thinking of buying a OBS tomorrow!

Started by mitchf350, December 01, 2010, 03:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitchf350

I have been trying to smoke on a Weber kettle grill, I have got pretty good results with my ribs.  (To much of a pain to control temp) So I'm looking for a electric smoker. I'm pretty set on the Obs. My only real concern is How well does the obs work in cold weather? Also I know that smoking on a kettle style grill is not real smoking but how does the taste compare to a obs? Please tell me you can smoke the hell out of meat cause I love a heavy smoke. ;D Im most likley going to go buy one tomorrow if I like what I hear here. Thanks

ArnieM

Hi Mitch and welcome to the forum.  You'll not likely hear a bunch of bad stuff about the OBS from here.

I have a Weber kettle and a Weber bullet smoker - and have the scars to prove it.

The OBS is simple but is low and slow.  If you used 6 hours of smoke in the kettle, the OBS will do it in 2-3 hours.  The low temp of the hotplate generates lots of smoke.  Cooking at a higher temp yields less smoke.  But low and slow means cooking times are generally longer.

Some people have had problems with the unit but Bradley customer service is some of the best. 

Get back to us with any other questions you might have.  We're here to help and many of us have learned the hard way.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

beefmann

Welcome to the forum

depends on the temperature surrounding the smoker, im in so calif and have  done quite  well smoking over nite when temps have dipped into the  30's others  have had  issues where the  temp  in the  box  never reached in the low  200 because of low temps ..0 to 10 ' with the 500 watt element, one solution is to add more wattage to the smoker to help with that  issue.]

a bradley isa great  smoker and will give you lots of  years  of  service, so ask questions and im sure  others  will  chime in as well

here is my heater mod

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17329.0

and timer and controller

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17304.0

enjoy

mitchf350

Good info everyone. Im going to swing by cabelas tomorrow and check it out. I know last week they had the obs for $250. The heater mods look good. I guess ill give it a try in stock form and see how it does. If not I guess I could always do the heater and a Pid. Thanks again Ill keep you all posted.

wyoduke

I live in northern Wyoming and have not had any heat problems it was -10 and a blanket rapped around it and was great and as far as smoke i have been cutting back my family said it is way stronger with the OBS .
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

mitchf350

Just got back from Cabelas! I bought it. 249.99 cant wait to try it.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

mitchf350

I'm going to season it in a little while. Is there any benefit to seasoning it with multiple flavor pucks? Or should I stick to just one? I bought the variety pack and was thinking of using one of each for seasoning. Will the flavor of the previous smoking session carry over to the next?

KevinG

Using different pucks will help you to see (or smell) what each one will be like while smoking, but not necessary if you don't want to. The smell won't carry off into the next smoke, it's more for getting rid of the new car smell  ;D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

TestRocket

Brisket Lover

mitchf350

Awsome!! Just got her seasoned. Do you guys re-use the last semi burnt puck? Where can I get some "dummy pucks" Thanks for the help!

beefmann

congrats Mitch, and if it is unburnt yes, you  might want to get some bubba pucks

SoCalBuilder

Way to go Mitch! You'll enjoy it. Just keep hanging around this bunch and you'll go far.

MOst of the accessories I've gotten at the link below.

http://www.yardandpool.com/