• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Fast Butts

Started by crestman, December 02, 2010, 02:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crestman

Wow...I put two 8pound butts on at noon and the both of them are already at 140 internal!!!...Cabinet's at 220 or so and inside building with a range hood. The past few times i have done this I've had 25hr plus cooks. At this rate, I'll be done cooking by about 2am or so!!. I was hoping for a longer cook to have them done tomorrow afternoon sometime, which would have been perfect for supper tomorrow night's staff Xmas party. Owell...what do ya do!!!

FLBentRider

Turn the temp down to 200-205F
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

BuyLowSellHigh

Haven't hit the full stall yet.  Be patient.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

beefmann

id drop it down to 210 and check it through out the  night

crestman

Thanks guys,

I've never had a stall last more than a few hours though....still looking at about half the allowed time!!!..hehe.

I have turned the temp down to 240 on the cabinet which is about 210 on the maverick second rack from the top (6rack). The 6hrs of smoke is on and I just changed the water out so I'll come back and check it around 10. I'm just trying to decide if I should crank it up to get it done so I can wrap and refrigerate? I'm thinking no matter how much I slow it down I'm going to have to through it in the fridge anyway so I may as well get it done at a reasonable hour, no? What do you guys think?

Internal temps are now as follows - upper= 151 and lower= 156. I usually see the plateau happen around 160 or so.   

DTAggie

You just never know with a butt, much less two butts!

BuyLowSellHigh

DT is right - butts can surprise you.  It's done when it's done.  Either way will work.  But whichever way you go, when it's done go for FTC and not the fridge right away.  With a good wrap and a good cooler it will hold very nicely and improve for 4-5 hours.  Then you can chill it.  The lower butt will likely be done before the one above it.

Wildcat

Keep that temp down to 205 to 210 and I'll bet it takes longer than you think.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

crestman

well foook. After all the worrying about temps and times I funked up somehow and didn't have the time set enough for the temp and it was off when I went back to look. Guess that takes care of having it done to early!!!...The cabinet temp was down to about 120 and the internals were at 160. Not sure how long it was like that, but couldn't have been more than about 1.5hrs. I got them into the house oven pronto and is currently at 225. The internals dropped to 150 though. You guys think these are now bad?

DTAggie

yikes how did that happen?  I am no food safety expert.  Others will weigh in on that

crestman

Quote from: DTAggie on December 02, 2010, 09:36:07 PM
yikes how did that happen?  I am no food safety expert.  Others will weigh in on that

Ya know what...I'm just not sure...when I went to check on it it was just off. Not sure if there was a power interruption, or I just didn't set the timer right. Either way, it was off :-[

classicrockgriller

I have an opinion, but like DTAggie I am not a food expert.

Keep cooking your Butt in the Oven and Hab's will be along

soon and he has more knowledge of this than most.

I hate that happen, but all may not be lost.

BuyLowSellHigh

IT at 150 -- you're fine.  Keep cooking!

crestman

Just woke up and one is at 192 and the other 195 so I'm going to take em out and FTC for a few hours then refrigerate. We need to eat at 6:30 or 7 tonight so when should I take them out of the fridge and pop em back into the oven to re-heat? And at what temp to reheat? I was thinking like 350 for an hour or so?

Wildcat

Not positive about the safety issue, but I think you are probably alright. Habs should be able to answer that for sure.

On the reheat, you may want to consider reheating in a crockpot.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/