• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Last Minute Pork Shoulder

Started by SamuelG, December 09, 2010, 04:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamuelG

I need to have these two ready to go on Saturday @ 4pm. 

I plan to make one of them "Cuban Style" with mojo.  The other one in my DBS, so I need some suggestions.  I'm sure there are plenty of crazy recipes out there.  Just checked the recipe site, but wanted dome recommendations.

Thanks in advance,
SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG

FLBentRider

There are a couple of rubs that are my "go to"

The renowned Mr Brown - http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?86-Pulled-Pork-and-Sauce&p=99#post99

I also like this "Salt Lick" clone:

3/3/1/1 mix of:

Kosher salt
Fresh cracked black pepper
Granulated garlic
Cayenne pepper

I rub and wrap in plastic for  24 hours or overnight. I'd get the skin off of those if you can.

For a 4pm Saturday serving, I'd start around 6-9pm Friday night and use FTC if they get done early.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

I am with FLB on this one start early
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

SamuelG

Skin off.

I'm will use the "salt lick" clone rub and inject the mojo.  How does that sound?

Thanks. 
SamuelG

SamuelG

Tenpoint5

Sounds like a plan. Too bad you have to have them ready by Saturday. I would be turning one of them into a Ham for Christmas.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

SamuelG

FLB, thanks for the quick help!

Tenpoint5,  There are plenty more where those came from ;D ;D ;D

The Mojo I'm using has 270mg per 30ml...I injected the shoulder with 7fl oz.  Should I still add salt to the rub or leave it out.  In the past, they have been good just with the mojo... any suggestions?

Thanks
SamuelG

SamuelG

Thanks. 
SamuelG

SamuelG

BuyLowSellHigh

That's a project!  Sounds like you have a winning plan.

Probably too late to be of use for this round, but(t) you can think about this for the next one.  I like to include a bit of sugar in rubs for pork.  It helps with balance and with bark formation for low and slow cooking.  If using the Salt Lick Clone, I would probably use a 1/2 volume of sugar to clone rub base.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

SamuelG

Mojo Shoulder:  100% mojo both injected and in the bag.

Hybrid Shoulder:  Injected with mojo till it could not take any more, than rubbed it with 3tbs of paprika, garlic powder, brown sugar and 1tbs of ground black pepper.

Had to improvise with the ingredients I had.  The shoulders were $1.49/lb which is not cheap, I usually buy them for 0.99/lb and sometimes even at 0.69/lb.  It was spur of the moment, so can't complain. 

They'll go in tomorrow around 6 pm @ 200F.  One in the oven and the other in the DBS.  Let's see if my guests can tell the difference! This is the first shoulder they'll eat cooked in a Bradley.  SURPRISE!  But I won't tell them which one it is. 

Thanks. 
SamuelG

SamuelG

Tenpoint5

Keep us posted as this project unveils itself.

SamuelG

Went in at 6pm.  Going to give it 4 hours of hickory. 

SamuelG

SamuelG

SamuelG

Four hours later @ 141F internal temp:

SamuelG

SamuelG

BuyLowSellHigh

SamuelG

Thanks BLSH.

14 hours at 200F...

Ahhhhh.   I just bumped it up to 225F  since I'm trying to be done by 12 so I can serve it at 2 pm.  I have to increase internal temp 10 deg/hour.  Something tells me that it won't happen.  I have read all the posts and the "famous stall" is in full effect. :-).  This is great practice for my annual lechon in the caja china + DBS!!!

The whole house smells delicious!

SamuelG

SamuelG

BuyLowSellHigh

10 °/hour in the face of a stall may be difficult.  I have seen them almost leap out of a stall, but them I've seen them sit there and go nowhere for hours.

If it were me and that was my timetable, I'd be running at 240 °F.