• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Hello

Started by Lostonetoo, December 11, 2010, 10:37:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lostonetoo

Well I went out and bought a new 4 rack Bradley Digital smoker last night and after ready alot on this forum, I'm wondering if I made the right choice by buying this smoker.  I see people are having to add a heating unit, problems with the pucks advancing, keeping the temp concestent.  I plan on using this to do briskets, pork, ribs, and making jerky.  Might try smoking cheese, not sure yet.

Do I need to make modifications to the smoker or is this a good choice for a smoker?  Also how well does your smoker work?

Thanks

KevinG

Mine is all original, had it for over a year now, not a single problem. I've done ribs, butts, chicken, turkey, jerky, sausage, cheese, rabbit, fatties, I think just about everything but briskit and love it.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

TestRocket

Welcome Lostonetoo. The Bradley is a great cooker and most of the mods you read about are just our little ways of making it better. Just like the way some people are always doing things to their cars. Jump in with both feet and we like questions and PICS!  ;D

Jim O

Welcome to the Forum.

I have an un-modified 4 rack DBS and have had no trouble at all.

I may make some mods but only for my own convenience.

If you do encounter any problems,let the forum know,and someone will steer you in the right direction.

Also,Bradley's customer service is top-notch.

Enjoy your new toy,ang keep that vent open!

incidentally,don't forget to season the unit .

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

GusRobin

Quote from: Lostonetoo on December 11, 2010, 10:37:10 AM
Well I went out and bought a new 4 rack Bradley Digital smoker last night and after ready alot on this forum, I'm wondering if I made the right choice by buying this smoker.  I see people are having to add a heating unit, problems with the pucks advancing, keeping the temp concestent.  I plan on using this to do briskets, pork, ribs, and making jerky.  Might try smoking cheese, not sure yet.

Do I need to make modifications to the smoker or is this a good choice for a smoker?  Also how well does your smoker work?

Thanks
As TR said. Not everyone has made mods to their smoker. Some ingenious folks on the forum like to "tweek" their stuff and pass along to the rest of us. For all the folks that talk about their mods, there are plenty that haven't done any and things work fine. With that said, any smoker you buy will have limitations, the mods are things that help overcome some of the Bradley limitations. But dollar for dollar the Bradley in probably one of the best buys for its class of electric smoker.  I would smoke for a while and determine if any of the mods would benefit whatever level of smoking you are doing.

As far as the problems, not everyone that posts to this forum has problems, not everyone that visits this forum posts, and not everyone that owns a Bradley visits the forum. So in the overall population of Bradleys, I think the level of problems are small. When people have a problem and go to the internet for help, most end up being steered to this forum. The point I am trying to make is that in that scenario it will seem that the population of problems appears to be greater than it actually is.

Regardless of trying to size the extent of problems, one thing that is for sure is that Bradley has one of the best Customer Service departments that most, if not all, of us have experienced. Also, this forum is filled with folks that will bend over backwards to try to help solve any problems you have regardless of the time of day.

Overall to me the biggest problems with the Bradley: (1) smoking becomes addictive and (2) everyone ends up wanting you to smoke something for them.

So no need to fret, throw something in, sit back with your beverage of choice and think of ways to convince everyone that you are working hard smoking their meal.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Chili Head

I also have the DBS and have had no problems. Ive smoked a brisket ,ribs, chicken ,turkey,jerky ect and everything has turned out great! I have made no mods to mine and I dont use a pid. The last smoke I did the temps outside was in the teens and it still turned out great. Just keep the door closed when it's cold out. Also if you plan on cold smoking it's one of the easiest things you can do with your bradley.

Everyone here is more than happy to help if you have questions. We were all noobs at one point  ;D

SouthernSmoked

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum...Enjoy!

http://www.susanminor.org

Remember we like pic's!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

DTAggie

Welcome Lostonetoo.  This month is my one-year anniversary...with my OBS..No mods what so ever.  Have 14 lbs of butt and a 9.75 ;b brisket cranking at 210* right now with a hillacious northwind and ambient temp of about 35*.  Only problem I have ever had was an element that went bad early and a door.  Corp took care of both immediately.  They are great.  Do not have buyers remorse.  You will love it! 

Lostonetoo

Thanks for the worm smokey welcome all.  I'll keep it and see what happen.  I bought mine at cabelas, so I cam always take it back.  I'll season it twice and go from there.  I live in Wyoming so i plan on trying to make a smoker blanket or something to help block the wind from taking to much of the heat from the smoker.

Also if I have question I'll ask them.

Thanks

djkost

I have a 4 rack digital and like it. It works fine it's just I get bored in the winter and want to make a good smoker possile better and on some of my project worse.  ;D You will enjoy your BDS. Welcome.

mtim

I bought the 6 rack about 7 months ago and have made no mods to it.  There will be a trial and error period to it like anything else .  My advice is to keep a diary of your smokes time, temp , flavor etc.  If there is something you don't like make a note of it and tweak it the next time.  My last smoke I did Country style ribs and ran the smoke too long so I made a note of the length and will cut it back the next time.  I would start out with a chicken for your first smoke .  They are very easy come out super moist and help you get a comfortable feel for your smoker.

classicrockgriller

Welcome and like Gus said there are a LOT of people that come here just to get help.

That is where this Forum is unique. We like to help if we can.

rcger

The only modification I've made is the addition of a PID.  I love my BDS 6 Rack!
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

Lostonetoo

So what does the PID do for the smoker?  Also how does it work?

Thanks all...

djkost

I just order a PID today. It's made to keep the internal smoker temps more even and can be progamed to increase the heat when needed. It depends on which one you get also has a meat thermometer which reads the internal temp of the food you are smoking. Mine cost just over 200.00 dollrs shipped. I will be tring mine out when it gets here. There are people on the form that can give you more information on them so hopefully they will check in here