(a not so)Red Velvet Cake

Started by Caribou, December 12, 2010, 09:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caribou

For my husband's birthday this year I cooked a Red Velvet Cake following Cakeman Raven's recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sara-moulton/southern-red-velvet-cake-recipe/index.html

I had made this recipe once before after seeing it on Bobby Flay's Throwdown and was really happy with it.
The only thing I change on it was omitting the pecans (my hubbies request) and I just cannot bring myself to adding an entire 2oz bottle of red food coloring to it.  :D
Food coloring doesn't change the flavor, well, maybe in that amount it does. ;) Instead I added 1oz of red stuff and it still came out red enough for me.

It's a really GOOD cake and it's now our family's favorite.  I posted a few pics, too.

Carolyn

mikeradio

Great Job the cake looks really good

Happy Birthday to Mr Caribou

Tenpoint5

Great looking cake Carolyn!! Looks red enough to me too. Happy Belated Birthday to Mr. Caribou as well
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

TestRocket

Triple layer goodness! Happy Birthday to your husband too!  ;D

pensrock

Caribou

Thanks guys :)
I'll pass the birthday wishes on the Mr. C.
Do you think in 6 years I'll be able to reuse the "1" candle if I lean it a little to the right? ;)
Carolyn

Tenpoint5

Put it on the other side for when Miss Emma turns Fifteen!!

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

beefmann

looks great and happy b day to your hubby

KevinG

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

deb415611

Nice cake!! 

It's red, very red :o  ;)

Caribou

Quote from: deb415611 on December 12, 2010, 12:24:45 PM
Nice cake!! 

It's red, very red :o  ;)
How bout I frost one green for Christmas? ;)
Wouldn't that be something?  :o
Probably pretty gross in reality.
Carolyn

deb415611

Maybe that's what I'll do for a Christmas dessert. 

Tenpoint5

Sounds pretty cool Carolyn might have to use the whole bottle of red to get it darker though for Christmas red

seemore

Looks great, Caribou!!!!   Red velvet cake is the BEST!
Mrs.

P.S.  Happy Birthday to Mr. Caribou!

TestRocket

Quote from: Caribou on December 12, 2010, 02:30:22 PM
How bout I frost one green for Christmas? ;)
[/quote]

I don't think I've ever seen a green velvet cake? You may be on to something...sitting around the fire reading green eggs and ham on Christmas Eve!  ;D