• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

HI-MOUNTAIN ORIGINAL JERKY

Started by Keymaster, December 12, 2010, 11:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAF128

I made a little bit of jerky today.   I sliced up one sirloin tip roast from a deer.    I had a little HM original left from last time.    There was enough for a pound of meat.   I used another packet from another supplier for the other pound.   It went into the smoker at 9 this morning, after I finished cleaning up last nights snow storm.   Then I headed to my doctors appointment.   Then I took my wife for lunch.   After lunch I headed to the safeway to stock up for the weekend.   Got home and unpacked.   I forgot all about my jerky :o.   Went out to the garage and the alarm on the PID was chiming.   Time was up.   I'd cooked it for 51/2 hrs.   It was to dry or brittle, but IMO slightly overdone.   It seemed a little salty to me too.   Anyway it's in a zip lock bag for now.  I guess I shouldn't plan to smoke on planned busy days.

Keymaster

Quote from: RAF128 on December 15, 2010, 07:01:07 PM
I made a little bit of jerky today.   I sliced up one sirloin tip roast from a deer.    I had a little HM original left from last time.    There was enough for a pound of meat.   I used another packet from another supplier for the other pound.   It went into the smoker at 9 this morning, after I finished cleaning up last nights snow storm.   Then I headed to my doctors appointment.   Then I took my wife for lunch.   After lunch I headed to the safeway to stock up for the weekend.   Got home and unpacked.   I forgot all about my jerky :o.   Went out to the garage and the alarm on the PID was chiming.   Time was up.   I'd cooked it for 51/2 hrs.   It was to dry or brittle, but IMO slightly overdone.   It seemed a little salty to me too.   Anyway it's in a zip lock bag for now.  I guess I shouldn't plan to smoke on planned busy days.
Hope it's still edible RAF128, My Jerky seems better the longer it sits in the Ziplock bag. I finally put it in foodsaver bags today. PID question: will the auber PID shut the heat off when it comes to desired I.T.?

FLBentRider

Quote from: Keymaster on December 16, 2010, 03:00:10 PM
PID question: will the auber PID shut the heat off when it comes to desired I.T.?

I suppose it will, but I don't think you are going to find an accurate way of measuring the IT of jerky.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Keymaster

Quote from: FLBentRider on December 16, 2010, 03:48:29 PM
Quote from: Keymaster on December 16, 2010, 03:00:10 PM
PID question: will the auber PID shut the heat off when it comes to desired I.T.?

I suppose it will, but I don't think you are going to find an accurate way of measuring the IT of jerky.
Good answer, I wasn't thinking straight  :D