• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Carbon Monoxide Warning

Started by Smokeville, December 13, 2010, 06:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokeville

Hi folks;

Yesterday was a cold and perfectly calm day. My smoker is inside the garage for the winter and when smoking I have always left the garage door open plus the main garage door open about 8 inches. Venting has never been a problem as there has always been a cross breeze. But not yesterday.

So after smoking for about 4 hours my CO/Gas detector went off. The reading was 32 -- just over the threshold of 30ppm.

It took me a while to figure out what it was. We have a gas furnace and water heater and stove, so a gas leak was the first thought. And, you couldn't smell the smoke in the house. I opened the windows for a bit and set up a fan in the garage, and all is now ok. It was the carbon monoxide coming from the burning bisquettes seeping into the house.

Rich

Sailor

Pretty powerful testimony as to why all devises need to be vented to the exterior of a home.  So glad that you have a CO monitor.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

TMB

Glad to here all is well, cause that can be a bad situation.  I do cook in my garage but I vent mine with a large fan just so this does not happen
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

Smokeville

Yeah, a fan is the full-time and best answer. It's best not to rely on a good breeze.