Bread Starter travels across Canada

Started by mikeradio, December 13, 2010, 12:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeradio

Hey JJ

No the feeding is the same for both, after you feed the starter the next morning you will have about 3 cups
worth, so you keep 1 cup and put in your mason jar and put it in the fridge (don't forget this part or you will not
have anymore starter)  the remaining 2 cups you then can use to make bread or divided into 1 cup portions and
give away,  I always freeze a couple packs as a backup just in case something happens to my starter,  or flush down the toilet
if you don't want to make bread that day.  You do have to feed the starter every 2 weeks to keep it healthy, and if you don't want
to make bread just get ride of the extra starter.  If I am going to make lots of bread I get 2 or 3 starters going in my fridge, then make
bread and keep one cup.  I have found that the Robin Hood bread flour works very well, make sure you use a good bread flour, not all purpose.

OU812

Cool beans, the starter has made it through another road trip.

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

jiggerjams

Thanks a lot for the feedback. Great advice on the Robin Hood bread flour. I will be breaking bread this weekend....sweet!!

I am Excited!!!

OU812

Quote from: jiggerjams on December 16, 2010, 06:31:12 AM
Thanks a lot for the feedback. Great advice on the Robin Hood bread flour. I will be breaking bread this weekend....sweet!!

I am Excited!!!

Kinda like havin a baby.  ;D

Have you named it yet?

I named mine Sonny.  :D

jiggerjams

Hmm I think I will follow your lead and name it after the person that took the time to be generous and send it to me. Yep I am calling my starter Mike.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: jiggerjams on December 16, 2010, 08:16:17 PM
Hmm I think I will follow your lead and name it after the person that took the time to be generous and send it to me. Yep I am calling my starter Mike.

And a mighty fine name after a good guy! Right on!

Mike the Bread Starter! Has a nice ring to it. ;D

OU812

jiggerjams

Going to happen soon. I just got to run to the store then the games begin.

OU812

Have the games started yet? ;D

I'm feedin sonny now.

Gonna try somthin new tonight. ;D

classicrockgriller

Quote from: OU812 on December 17, 2010, 10:24:49 PM

I'm feedin sonny now.

Had a GREAT talk with jigger. Curt, he will a good "Keeper of the Bread" in

his part of Canada. The school girls will giggle some more. ;D

Thanks you guys for passing on and sharing what your learned.

OU812

Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 17, 2010, 11:14:34 PM
Quote from: OU812 on December 17, 2010, 10:24:49 PM

I'm feedin sonny now.

Had a GREAT talk with jigger. Curt, he will a good "Keeper of the Bread" in

his part of Canada. The school girls will giggle some more. ;D

Thanks you guys for passing on and sharing what your learned.

I just pulled something toatly new outta the oven bout 5 min ago.

will post soon, its gonna be GOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Captainslug

I have a question for those experts with the Awesome Bread Starter going across this great country (And the U.S. too!).

What type of pan do people use? Glass? Metal?  Pan with special coating?   :-\

And what kind of "grease" do people use for the pans? Butter? Margarine? Nonstick spray?  WD-40? (Just kidding about the WD-40!)  :-\

The reason I ask this is I use glass pans and use a nonstick spray (Pam).  I am having trouble with my bread sticking (destroying my loaves to remove them).  I want to eat them in a slices and not in chunks like a Neanderthal! Plus its easier to toast! I would like to know if others have this problem or have a solution.

As always, thanks in advance for all responses.

The Cap'n.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack Smoker, 8 Std Racks, cold smoke adapter, 3 alum. pucks, 2nd element, circ. fan, Dual probe PID

classicrockgriller

Cpp'n I used metal and crisco solid and use a paper towel to wipe it on pretty good.

Loaves are going to take 25 to 30 minutes depending on your oven and rolls about

25 to 28 minutes at 350*

When you take it out of oven put pan on a wire rack to cool and after about 5

minutes I dump out of the pan and put back on the wire rack to cool.

If you try to bag the bread while it is still warm it will create moisture in the bag and the

crust gets soft.

jiggerjams

Sonny just gave you some great tips. I am getting ready for my third bake tomorrow (still a newbie) and I use both metal non stick coated and glass pans. I use canola oil in a bottle gadget that makes it spray like PAM. Out of both of the pans I find the metal non stick pans superior. My loaves and rolls do not come out butchered in the glass pans, but they certainly put up a decent fight.

I am going to try Sonny's tip of using Crisco (or lard or shortening) and see if that makes a difference. Which there is a good chance it will. If it doesn't, I am going to buy more non stick pans and omit using the glass pans for this recipe.