Bread Starter travels across Canada

Started by mikeradio, December 13, 2010, 12:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jiggerjams

After feeding the starter and you have added the ingredients to make bread and put it in the oven to proof, has anyone added a bowl of warm water on a lower rack in the oven for the proofing stages?

Just wondering because my Better Homes and Gardens recipe book suggested it so I tried it. The results were the dough in the oven with a bowl of warm water proofed twice as large as the dough I put in the microwave. Both were covered with tea towels.

Thoughts?

classicrockgriller

James, even though the sweet bread starter is an old starter, it has basically been

in the hands of just family members that made it the same way as the ones before them.

You guys are really the pioneers of moving forward and trying new things with the starter.

I am sure that sour dough and sweet bread starters are cousins so some or all the things

that can be done to sour dough should be able to be used with the sweet bread. Curt has

started proving that with variations of finished breads, waffles, etc.

Just remember not to adjust or add to the way the starter is kept up and stored. After you save

the cup of pure starter, let your imagination be your guide.

My Sis didn't want the starter until she started helping my Mom make her rolls, etc. when she would

come to visit her. She took home a starter and makes whole wheat bread, Cinnamon rolls, and now

Bananna Nut Bread (after me telling her that Curt makes it). She takes her Bread Treats to work (she

is incharge of the Lab at a big Hospital). She told me the starter has been a big hit and she has given

the starter to 5 different people now.

Glad you are having fun with it. Just keep your cup starter, pure and healthy and have fun with the rest.

jiggerjams

OU812

Been working on a chocolate bread here, still not quite there yet.

classicrockgriller

Have 4 starters going from here to the west coast (cali) and the east coast (fl) and the north

(Mi and Md) tomorrow. Did not freeze them. Keep your fingers crossed. ;D

rdevous

CRG....my lab coat, safety glasses and microfiber shoe covers await its arrival.  I love fresh baked bread, rolls and waffles!!!

Thank you for all you do for the forum family!!!!!

Ray

If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!

rdevous

Mine arrived yesterday afternoon.  When I got home around 11:00 PM, I opened it.  It was still cool to the touch.  The lid insert was domed from the gasses.  I opened it VERY s l o w l y to relieve the pressure and put it in the refrigerator.

Ray

If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!

GusRobin

Picture of when bread starters were opened:

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: GusRobin on January 15, 2011, 10:00:25 AM
Picture of when bread starters were opened:

;D ;D ;D that sizes it up pretty good! ;D ;D

Quarlow

Hey that looks like stop action photography in my kitchen the night I got mikes starter home. :D :D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

devo

First off let me say this is the best thread I have read. You guys have kept me interested for hours. I'm new to the forum and enjoy reading all about the bradley smoker recipes. When I came across this thread I was working the night shift at a paper mill in northern Ontario. Made my night go by faster. I'm sure some of that starter has passed by my house a few times  :)
So being the new kid on the block I was wondering if someone would be so kind as to let me in on this? This sounds like fun for sure.
Thanks

classicrockgriller

Quote from: devo on February 07, 2011, 12:29:45 AM
First off let me say this is the best thread I have read. You guys have kept me interested for hours. I'm new to the forum and enjoy reading all about the bradley smoker recipes. When I came across this thread I was working the night shift at a paper mill in northern Ontario. Made my night go by faster. I'm sure some of that starter has passed by my house a few times  :)
So being the new kid on the block I was wondering if someone would be so kind as to let me in on this? This sounds like fun for sure.
Thanks

devo, I'm sure we can work some thing out for ya.

SmokinSoon has just learned that we can de-hydrate the starter and then re-hydrate it.

That is good for two great things. First the cost for us to ship it will go down and the

success rate will be higher. I am going to de-hydrate a cple of starters this week and if

things go good I will try to get one off to you in the next week or so.

Just keep checking with me by PM. Sometimes I forget.

OU812

Quote from: classicrockgriller on February 07, 2011, 05:02:08 PM

Sometimes I forget.

Thats an understatement.  ;D  :D

OK, I'll go back in my corner now.  ::)

devo

Quote from: classicrockgriller on February 07, 2011, 05:02:08 PM
Quote from: devo on February 07, 2011, 12:29:45 AM
Thanks

devo, I'm sure we can work some thing out for ya.

SmokinSoon has just learned that we can de-hydrate the starter and then re-hydrate it.

That is good for two great things. First the cost for us to ship it will go down and the

success rate will be higher. I am going to de-hydrate a cple of starters this week and if

things go good I will try to get one off to you in the next week or so.

Just keep checking with me by PM. Sometimes I forget.

That would be great. I will check my PM/s daily
Thanks

devo

So hows the de-hydrate the starter and then re-hydrate it going. Havn't heard to much about this project for awhile.