Bread Starter travels across Canada

Started by mikeradio, December 13, 2010, 12:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeradio

Jiggerjams contacted me about getting some bread starter.

Purolator shows overnight delivery from BC to Ont, so it should stay frozen.

I have 1 cup of starter in a food saver pack with a couple of small vent holes (just in case ;D)
packaged between two freezer packs.

Tenpoint5

And the travels of of the bread starter take another road!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

jiggerjams

Yes!! I can't wait. Thank you very much Mike and also Sonny for starting the process. This is cool. I will post when the package arrives.  :D

classicrockgriller

jigger, am Glad you got the Bread Starter.

Mike ........ You are the MAN!

Just Awesome for doing that!

OU812

And the family tree for the starter grows another branch.  ;D

I sent some off to my mama and walked her through the whole bread making thing this weekend.

Now that was fun, she could kinda remember the steps after I was explaining them to her over the phone

KyNola

Don't forget to label the package "HIGHLY EXPLOSIVE MATERIALS INSIDE". :D

GusRobin

Since someone almost got arrested last time this starter made a trip, should we start the fund for bail money now or wait until the arraignment?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

mikeradio

Purolator messed up and should have picked it by 2 PM so I am holding
overnight in my frezzer at work, and will try again tomorrow.
I dont want it sitting any longer than it has too

jiggerjams

I am thinking I will get someone else to sign for the package, you know in case the feds are o to us!

Thanks for taking care Mike,

When the package arrives I will probably have some questions for the starter experienced. I know there is a Bread starter post by Sonny out there. That is where I wil start.

OU812

Quote from: jiggerjams on December 13, 2010, 06:26:40 PM
I am thinking I will get someone else to sign for the package, you know in case the feds are o to us!

Thanks for taking care Mike,

When the package arrives I will probably have some questions for the starter experienced. I know there is a Bread starter post by Sonny out there. That is where I wil start.

When you figure out how this starter works you can do wonders with it.

Jump in!

jiggerjams

I did find the sweet bread starter post and re read it last night. Mmmm the possibilities look endless. Cinnamon bread or buns, waffles, and pizza all looked fantastic. Can't wait to get STARTERed

classicrockgriller

I have a list of about 5 on this side of the Boarder that I will

be sending the Starter to after the first of the year.

I am still working on a way to dry it and then rehydrate it.

That would sure make it easier and more cost effective.

jiggerjams

The package arrived at 9:40 am this morning. With great anticipation I opened the box which was very well packed. Thanks Mike. Inside I found two cold packs that were still frozen stiff. That alone is pretty impressive coming from British Colombia to Ontario. That would be like shipping from Seattle to Buffalo in the States.

Anyway when I opened the box and pulled out the cold packs there it was the legendary starter. The legendary starter was in a food saver bag, and on the cold packs, and on the styrafoam. It appears there was a blown seal (insert joke here). Not to worry Mike the majority was in the FS bag and I think I salvaged the better part of the shipment but won't know for sure till I can measure it at home. My guess is I have a cup of starter now in some tupperware in the work fridge. Sorry for no pics but I do not have a camera at work. I will be transferring the starter to a mason jar tonight.

I would like to share the starter with my mom and 2 sisters for Christmas gifts. Is that possible in the amount of time that is left till Christmas? Any suggestions on how to proceed? I am assuming I would have to feed it.

How do I tell if the starter survived the trip?

Thanks so much Mike and Sonny. I am looking forward to gifting the starter and using it to bake with. Whoot Whoot!!

JJ

mikeradio

Hey JJ

I am glad it made it there ok, so some of the starter leaked out?  I did take my knife and poked two small
holes just in case the pressure increased.

Yes it should be close to a cup.  I would take it home and feed it tonight.  Then in the morning split it into 3 equal parts
in mason jars and let it sit 1 to 2 days in the fridge, you should see it grow almost to the top of the jar.  After a couple of days
I would take the best looking one an feed it again ( or you could feed all 3 ) the next morning if it looks ok you could divide into
1 cup portions and give it to your family.  Giving it a couple feedings should get i nice and strong again after being frozen.

jiggerjams

Thanks Mike,

Is the feeding the starter to produce more starter different than feeding starter to make dough from the Sweet Bread Starter post? Any tips? I want to be sure I get this first attempt correct so everyone's efforts are all for not.

JJ