• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Hot Smoking uncooked hams

Started by blachance, December 15, 2010, 03:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blachance

Does anyone out there know how to hot smoke an uncooked ham? Any assistance that can be provided would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Thanks

Brian

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

FLBentRider

Quote from: blachance on December 15, 2010, 03:29:35 PM
Does anyone out there know how to hot smoke an uncooked ham? Any assistance that can be provided would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Thanks

Brian

Is it an uncured ham?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

blachance

Habanero Smoker

Generally you can treat a fresh ham like a large bone-in roast, with some seasoning. You don't have to brine it or cure it; you can just season it and smoke/cook it. I feel the brining adds flavor, texture and helps retain moisture. If not cured it will not have that traditional "ham-like" flavor; but the taste of fresh ham is very good also. I generally like to remove the skin and most of the surface fat, so during the smoking time you get better smoke penetration and flavor. If you going to leave the skin on I would crosshatch cut it prior to placing it in the smoker. If you are preparing it with just seasoning, I would start off applying 4 hours of smoke at 200°F, then after the smoke crank the heat up to 250° and cook until you reach an internal temperature of 152°F.

You may want to take a look at this thread. It is discussing brining and smoking a fresh ham in the Smoker. In that thread I am leaving the skin on since I will be finishing in the oven.

Brined Fresh Ham

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)