smoker temperature

Started by wolfnanny, July 28, 2005, 07:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfnanny

What is the lowest temperature I can hot smoke at?  For example, can I safely smoke a brisket at 150 degrees F.  And do I have to use the bisquettes through the whole smoking process?  I know it takes 3 for 1 hour.  Does that mean I have to use 36 bisquettes to smoke something for 12 hours?

HELP!

Habanero Smoker

To answer your second question; you would only apply smoke for a certain period of time. For example, many apply four hours of smoke to a brisket (12 bisquettes), and finish cooking. Just to remind you, that in the BS, the last two bisquettes do not get pushed on to the burner. So if you want to apply four hours of smoke, load 14 bisquettes, or 12 bisquettes and 2 or 3 Bubba Pucks.

Your other question is more difficult to answer. How you have prepared the food, will depend if you can smoke at lower temperatures. A smoking temperature of 150 F can be a safe temperature to smoke at for whole cuts of meat, because bacteria grows on the surface of food and smoke has anti-microbial effect. If the food has not been cured, then you need to make sure that you can accurately monitor the cabinet temperature, because you are very close to the danger zone of 140 F.

For brisket, 150 F. is not a recommended temperature to smoke at. Why do you want to smoke a brisket at 150 F.? Brisket is a tough cut of meat, and in order to get the texture tender you need to bring the internal temperature of the meat to at least 185 F. If you smoke at 150 F., you can only get the internal temperature to 150 F.

Listing the lowest temperature for hot smoke is a difficult question to answer, because there are a variety of differing opinions. Many sources state that once you go over 180 F. your are no longer smoking; you are technically barbequing. But I am not a purist, I just like the flavor of smoke. Here are some temperature ranges I have collected of the past several years trying to figure it out. I would be interested in seeing what others feel or think about the following temperatures.
Cold Smoking: <70 F. - 100 F.
Hot Smoking: 100> F. - 180 F.
Barbecuing: 180> F. - 225 F.
Low Grilling/Roasting: 225> F. - 300 F.
Moderate Roasting: 300> F. - 400 F.
Medium Grilling: 300> F. - 450 F.
Hot Roasting: 400+ F.
Medium Hot Grilling: 450> F. - 500 F.
Hot Grilling: 500+

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Habanero Smoker</i>
<br />
Hot Grilling: 500+
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">At 500+,thats is an understatement.  Back in the day when I was in HS, I use to be cook, we did our lobsters at 500 in an oven.  That is freek'n hot.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Phone Guy

I will smoke my brisket at 200-225 and go to at least 185 internal. Smoker temp of 150 is not a hot enough temp for any meat that you want to safely eat unless you are just smoking for the flavor then finishing in the oven or grill. Cold smoking should not go over about 100 degreese IMHO.

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Phone Guy</i>
<br />I will smoke my brisket at 200-225 and go to at least 185 internal. Smoker temp of 150 is not a hot enough temp for any meat that you want to safely eat unless you are just smoking for the flavor then finishing in the oven or grill. Cold smoking should not go over about 100 degreese IMHO.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I agree with you on the brisket, but there are many meats safe to eat at 150 F, some at 145 F. For example beef, pork, lamb, veal, fish, chicken breast and turkey breast.

Wolfnanny; why do you want to smoke as such a low temperature? It will take much longer to get up to a proper internal temperature.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Phone Guy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Habanero Smoker</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Phone Guy</i>
<br />I will smoke my brisket at 200-225 and go to at least 185 internal. Smoker temp of 150 is not a hot enough temp for any meat that you want to safely eat unless you are just smoking for the flavor then finishing in the oven or grill. Cold smoking should not go over about 100 degreese IMHO.
I agree with you on the brisket, but there are many meats safe to eat at 150 F, some at 145 F. For example beef, pork, lamb, veal, fish, chicken breast and turkey breast.

Wolfnanny; why do you want to smoke as such a low temperature? It will take much longer to get up to a proper internal temperature.

I did not say meat temp I said "Smoker temp". I know that a good steak is just right at about 150.

If you had your smoker set to 150 and expected your steak (for example) to get to 150 you would be in for a long wait. I do know that many types of meat are cooked to the indicated temp but to have the smoker temp set to 150 just would not do the trick.

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Phone Guy</i>
<br />
QuoteI did not say meat temp I said "Smoker temp". I know that a good steak is just right at about 150.

If you had your smoker set to 150 and expected your steak (for example) to get to 150 you would be in for a long wait. I do know that many types of meat are cooked to the indicated temp but to have the smoker temp set to 150 just would not do the trick.
Sorry. I misread your message; but I still don't fully agree with the above statement[:)] It can be done safely. I hope that wolfnanny will reply why s/he wants to smoke at a low temperature[?] Such low temperatures are used for hot smoking fish.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Phone Guy

Well I should have said.. I'm not always correct but to the best of my knowledge, ( which isn't saying much).....[;)]

Chez Bubba

<br />I know that a good steak is just right at about 150.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
If I paid for that steak, it would be returned to the kitchen. 135 please.

Maybe I'm a vampire![:D][:D][:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Phone Guy</i>
<br />I know that a good steak is just right at about 150.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Kirk

Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
I hope that eating rare steak does not make you a vampire, because I like mine at around 140 F.[:D]

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Phone Guy

<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>

Kirk

I hope that eating rare steak does not make you a vampire, because I like mine at around 140 F.[:D]

You guys are correct I was a little high on that temp. I am a medium rare myself.