Heating element failed on 3rd use - quality problems

Started by API, December 26, 2010, 10:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

API

I got this NEW Digital 4-rack smoker for Xmas, and it looked good until I used 3rd time...  Temperature was up to 200F, but in a couple of hours started falling... to 85F.  After checking everything, I found that the heating element is dead (zero Ohms), the power IS applied to it by the control unit, but it doesn't work.  

Quality of the unit in general leaves to be desired -- "crafty" Chinese manufacturing shows everywhere -- crooked screws, unit is not leveled, there's a gap between the smoke generator unit and the box, leaking smoke and condensate, smoke briquets get stuck to the tray, pile up and don't move, condensate drips into the box unit and leaks outside the unit...

Come on, Bradley - the $400-$500 price tag of this unit does not match the quality your customers expect!!!

Tenpoint5

Hold on now before we start bashing the good folks at Bradley. It is a known Fact that there IS a bad batch of heating elements out there. If you give Bradley Customer Service a call on Monday they will get you a new element out right away.

All this condensate your talking about is raising red flags to me as well. The only problem is it is generally not a Bradley issue but an OPERATOR issue. If you are having a lot of condensation in the cabinet it is screaming to you telling you to OPEN the vent. You MUST keep the vent open to allow the moisture to escape out of the cabinet. Retaining the moisture in the cabinet will do everything that you have described. That is why there is smoke and moisture coming out around the smoke generator. This also the reason that your puck are fouling up and sticking to the plate.

Call Bradley on Monday, get you a new element, then come on back and let's get you and your smoker dialed in to the same wave length and start making some of the best food you have had in a while.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Rckcrwlr

I'm with 10.5 

I was and still am a newbie.  All products manufactured can have issues. What separates crafty from quality is customer service.

Call them up and you will be back to enjoying your new toy.

Posted using TapaTalk Pro

mybad

Quote from: Rckcrwlr on December 26, 2010, 11:36:35 AM

That's not what you want to hear when you spend $500 ???

DTAggie

You never know who is actually posting on here.  A rep for a competitor?

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: API on December 26, 2010, 10:35:20 AM
After checking everything, I found that the heating element is dead (zero Ohms), the power IS applied to it by the control unit, but it doesn't work.

Well, zero ohms would imply a short and if you are applying power, a tripped breaker. This explanation is not holding together very well.....

API

I am not a competitor's rep, just a very disappointed customer.  I tried 2 or 3 different smokers before, and didn't like them either.  Finally, I decided to spend the $$$ and get "the real thing"... well - you know the rest.  I should've bought it years ago, before they moved manufacturing to China.

Smokin Soon

API

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 26, 2010, 10:59:48 AM
All this condensate your talking about is raising red flags to me as well. The only problem is it is generally not a Bradley issue but an OPERATOR issue. If you are having a lot of condensation in the cabinet it is screaming to you telling you to OPEN the vent. You MUST keep the vent open to allow the moisture to escape out of the cabinet. Retaining the moisture in the cabinet will do everything that you have described. That is why there is smoke and moisture coming out around the smoke generator. This also the reason that your puck are fouling up and sticking to the plate.

You are correct -- I WAS closing the vent, but only following Bradley's manual and the cookbook (check the smoked brisket recipe).  But the food came out way too smokey (almost black), so I decided to do it with less smoking time and wide open vent today.  However, this time before the heating element burned out, I had to clean up the pileup of briquetts - they got stuck to the plate for some reason.  The meat came out better, though - just enough smoke, but I had to finish cooking in the oven after the unit's heater died.

API

Quote from: mybad on December 26, 2010, 11:56:57 AM
Quote from: Rckcrwlr on December 26, 2010, 11:36:35 AM
That's not what you want to hear when you spend $500 ???

Thanks - that's exactly my point - this was supposed to be a high-end product. Plus, I DID call Bradley, they are closed 'til Wednesday Dec-29... So much for the smoked turkey plans for New Year's Eve!  :'(

API

Quote from: Arcs_n_Sparks on December 26, 2010, 06:23:03 PM
Quote from: API on December 26, 2010, 10:35:20 AM
After checking everything, I found that the heating element is dead (zero Ohms), the power IS applied to it by the control unit, but it doesn't work.
Well, zero ohms would imply a short and if you are applying power, a tripped breaker. This explanation is not holding together very well.....

Excellent point... my bad - what I meant was "zero response" = "infinite Ohms", the element is dead as a nail.

API

Smokin Soon

I know Bradley will take care of it, but if it's a time thing contact Yard & Pool, not so far from you. If you call, ask for Bryan, as he is a respected member here.

http://www.yardandpool.com/Bradley-Smoker-Replacement-Heating-Element-p/heatelement.htm

classicrockgriller

If you need an element ............. pm me and I'll send you one FREE of charge

just so you can have a good Holiday after you spent that $500.

SouthernSmoked

I'm with CRG, if you PM me I will send you a heating element. I live in Northern Kentucky just outside of Cincinnati, Ohio - what part of Ohio are you located. If you live close I may be able to take sometime off of work and help you replace the unit.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little