What is the best cut for pulled pork?

Started by mitchf350, December 29, 2010, 10:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitchf350

I'm thinking of making pulled pork for newyears eve. I will be serving 5 to 7 people. I'm thinking a 7lb Boston butt. I will be setting aside about 20hrs total. Does this sound rite?

OU812

If them 5 to 7 people are big eaters you better do 2 of them 7 pounders.

Nothing wrong with having leftovers but it aint no fun when you run out when the midnight munchies come on.

I find that after the smoke/cook and removing the bone you end up with 40% loss from when you started.

classicrockgriller

Curt is on the money.

A 7 lb'er will yield you about 4 to 4 1/2 lbs of "cooked" meat.

If everybody eats a 1/2lb or more ........ BooHoo!, no left overs.

Poolshark

The butt is a preferred cut for me, however there are a lot of folks who do them with the shank end. Either one will work, but I prefer the butt end as is often has more fat, making it juicier. That's just my two cents.

FLBentRider

I use the (boston) butt end of the shoulder as well, the picnic end was not as tender.

I would do two of those as well - you have the smoker going, might as well load it up.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

hal4uk

Either a Boston butt or a whole shoulder, but not the picnic by itself.
I usually get the cryovac 2-pack of butts from Sam's Club.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

mitchf350

Picked up my boston butt. The biggest one the butcher had was 8.5lbs but I think only 5 people will eat off of it. This hunk of meat was expencive! I hope I dont screw it up. Im going to smoke With apple and oak for 5 hrs @ 225*. Then change the bowl to apple juice and let cook till IT is about 190* Then FTC it for 2hrs or more? I want this bad boy done by 7pm New Years eve. Im thinking this thing will take 18hrs. What time would you all start?

FLBentRider

I would start around 9pm the day before and use FTC to hold it if it is done early.

Pork shoulder is not that expensive a cut around here, under $2.00/lb
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

TestRocket

Watch that water bowl every three hours and keep an eye on your v-tray to make sure it doesn't get clogged up! Good Luck!

mitchf350

Quote from: FLBentRider on December 29, 2010, 04:04:36 PM
I would start around 9pm the day before and use FTC to hold it if it is done early.

Pork shoulder is not that expensive a cut around here, under $2.00/lb
This Butcher is in one of those high dollar neighborhoods. But I hear every one talking about how great they are. This thing was almost $4/lb I figured its New Years and I would splurge a bit. I always let the wife do the shopping, So I dont know to much about prices. But since I bought the smoker I been shopping a bit more.

squirtthecat

I'm in Brooklyn on vacation for the week, and I just wandered into a specialty butcher shop down the street.  They had Kurobuta pork butt for $6.99/lb.    GEEZ.    In the case, it almost didn't look like pork.  It looked like meat colored butter!

GusRobin

Quote from: mitchf350 on December 29, 2010, 03:51:28 PM
Picked up my boston butt. The biggest one the butcher had was 8.5lbs but I think only 5 people will eat off of it. This hunk of meat was expencive! I hope I dont screw it up. Im going to smoke With apple and oak for 5 hrs @ 225*. Then change the bowl to apple juice and let cook till IT is about 190* Then FTC it for 2hrs or more? I want this bad boy done by 7pm New Years eve. Im thinking this thing will take 18hrs. What time would you all start?

you can always make it the day before,pull, put in the fridge and reheat New Years. I made 5 butts for work, pulled them, bagged them and put in the fridge for 3 days. Took them to work, reheated in crock pots (added a little beef broth). They came out great and everyone loved them.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

mitchf350

The party is at my brothers. I would like to be there around 3pm Its about a 40min drive How long will FTC hold for best results? If we eat earlier than 7 that's fine. I just don't want to miss out on drinks throughout the day.  ;D

mitchf350

Quote from: GusRobin on December 29, 2010, 05:15:45 PM
[/quote}

yo can always make it the day before,pull, put in the fridge and reheat New Years. I made 5 butts for work, pulled them, bagged them and put in the fridge for 3 days. Took them to work, reheated in crock pots (added a little beef broth). They came ot great and everyone loved them.
Thats a good idea. I How long after FTC should I pull?

classicrockgriller

This hunk of meat was expencive! I hope I dont screw it up.

Is really hard to mess up a Butt.

Make sure you give it a LOVE tap before you put it in the smoker.