• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Calling all Fatties!

Started by SnellySmokesEm, December 29, 2010, 10:53:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnellySmokesEm

I am finally going to make my first fatty for NYE!  So who's got the best fatty around?  I prefer to smoke my fatties.   ??? ::)
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

Poolshark

Well, I think everyone is going to say they have the best...but here is one for you to try if you wanna pony up a lil bit...it is our Mexican seafood fattie.

chorizo outside, with shrimp, scallops, and salmon with a little Old Bay on the inside. Roll it up and wrap in bacon...it is mighty tasty!!

Up In Smoke

Snelly i believe you have just called down the Thunder.....
This will be a very interesting thread for sure.
One i will be following closely for sure.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

ADH

Honey, get me my reading glasses  Now

Ka Honu

Quote from: SnellySmokesEm on December 29, 2010, 10:53:44 AMI prefer to smoke my fatties.

I thought this was a cooking forum.  Oh yeah, I get it... "Now you're cooking."

SnellySmokesEm

Quote from: Up In Smoke on December 29, 2010, 11:48:42 AM
Snelly i believe you have just called down the Thunder.....

Thats what I was hoping for....  :) :) :)
BBQ Evangelist

TestRocket

I've only done one and it was beef with bacon, onion and cheese with a bacon weave. It was ok, a little dry, I cooked it to long! My next one will be pork, for sure!

Uncle Pigfat

Can't go wrong with a bacon explosion.

Bacon weave, country sausage with your rub of choice mixed in, cooked bacon center w/bbq sauce.

GusRobin

Bacon weave, layer of sausage of your choice, chopped jalopenas, chopped onions, pepperjack cheese, sauteed mushrooms, spices as desired.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Up In Smoke

2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Caneyscud

Hard to go wrong with a Bacon Explosion - most like them.

Recently the two that have got the highest marks are ones stuffed with scrambled eggs, chorizo, green onion, cheddar, and jalapeno.
The other one that seems to be a perennial favorite with my fly fishing taste testers is sharp cheese and dried figs (Figgin' Fatty) 

Typically my favorite is sharp cheddar, green onions, strips of pepper.

Last year I did some with tater tots, cream cheese and jalapeno that were eaten very fast.

Stuff with a brat and cheese.

Ronbeaux posted A mac-n-cheese fatty that looked killer

Pizza ones are pretty good - usually use genoa, pepperoni, mozzy cheese, and some pizza sauce.

Did these this summer for my fly fishing buddies at the fly shop.

Starting on left - going to the right
The one you can barely see was a Figgin' Fatty
The one with the red on the left is made with dried tomatoe pesto, roasted red peppers, black olives and parmesan cheese that was pretty tasty. 
Just above that one is one out of Porter Cheese, green onions and mushrooms - so-so
To the right of the red one is a scrambled eggs, bacon, tater tots, and cheese - went over well.
The next one is the other half of the Porter cheese one
The next one was a good one.- Pesto, artichoke bottoms and feta that was very good.
The far bottom right (fuzzy one) was scrambled eggs, chorizo, cheddar, and jalapeno - it was the favorite of the day.

I've got quite a few in planning stages that will have to try before recommending them.  They could be good or could fall flat on their faces. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

OU812

SnellySmokesEm

Thanks guys!  They all look great!  I guess there is no real particular recipe.  Just kinda throw whatever the heck you want into it.  ;D ;D ;D  How big do you roll the meat out into?  I am going to do a bacon weave so I want to be sure the meat loaf will fit into the weave. So here's the plan...
2 lbs of thick cut bacon (not sure if I will need it all)
1lb italian sausage
1lb 90/10 ground beef
(Ground beef mixed together with garlic, onion powder and salt lick clone rub)
spanish onion, green onion, jalepenos, mushroom and peppers (red, green, yellow)
Block cheddar cheese

Now should I saute the veggies?  
How long do they usually take?
What IT?
BBQ Evangelist

Caneyscud

Never measured one, but I guess a 1 lb sausage roll rolls out to 9 x 9.  Something like 18 to 24+ slices of bacon - depending on the width of the slices.  That limitation is due to the length of the bacon.  if you need larger - overlap the bacon endsby an inch or more and keep on going.

Should not need to saute the veggies - you'll cook to an IT of at least 165 so the veggies will cook also.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

ronbeaux

Make sure what you stuff inside will be good to eat at 155 or 165 degrees. You can precook some things and still use it though.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.