• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

COSTCO Butts all "boneless"

Started by TonyL222, January 12, 2011, 07:44:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyL222

I'm sure this is a matter of opinion - but I value your opinions  :).  So COSTCO sells two-butt packs at a good price - but only boneless butts.  Does bone-in make that big a difference to you for butts?  Trying to decide whether to buy these or go elsewhere.

Thanks

squirtthecat

I've done both kinds, and really didn't notice any huge difference..

Caneyscud

Same with STC.  Not a big difference. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Redneckinthecity

I used the Costco boneless butts for my 16-butt cook last summer.  IMHO, if you're cooking a lot, the convenience of not having to deal with the bone (admittedly not a huge chore if you cooked it right) is worth it.  Though,  I needed to tie the butts just to help hold them from spreading out too much and cook evenly.  I use a mustard slather before dry rub.  Tying them before starting that process was easiest.

SoCalBuilder

Glad to hear everyone has had success with the Costco butts. It's about time I tried a double butt smoke and these look like a pretty good deal.

Sailor

I buy the Costco butts and never noticed a difference with them Vs the bone in.  The thing I like about the Costco bone out butts is that I make lots of sausage and I don't have to hassle with boning them before I slice them up for grinding. 

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Habanero Smoker

I like my butts with the bone-in. When I am near Costco I do what sailor does, pick up the boneless for making sausage.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Keymaster

Im really happy to hear about this boneless butt because as a newbie at cutting up meat it is quite the choar for me to get them bones out before grinding. I wonder if they take the Gland out as well ? that would be a super bonus  :o

Habanero Smoker

No, they don't take out the gland, and you still should trim off as much silver skin and sinet as you can.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TonyL222

Thanks for all the feedback.  I went with bone-in from Wegman's this time, but I think I'll give the bone-less a go next time.

BTW, I'm doing a Three Butt Cook Off - One butt with a light coat of canola oil, one butt slathered in CYM , and the last one slathered with CT.  Rubbed all three with Mr Brown.  Want to see if I can tell any difference. 

jiggerjams

SOunds like a good test. I look forward to your feedbck.

TedEbear

Quote from: TonyL222 on January 12, 2011, 07:44:47 AMSo COSTCO sells two-butt packs at a good price - but only boneless butts.  

???   The Costco I bought several two-butt pork packs from recently had a bone in each of them.  Not a huge bone but it was there.

Mr B

I have basically used the CostCo boneless butts for all of my pulled pork until this last weekend.  My local grocery store had some very nice looking Bone-In shoulders on sale so I picked up 2 of them.
I have to say, what I really liked about the Bone-In was the fact that it was all 1 nice rectangular hunk o meat and not floppin' all over the place like the boneless ones.  Now I wish CostCo sold the Bone-In cut also.  But i will buy the CostCo ones if other bone-in ones are not on sale.

TedEbear

Quote from: TonyL222 on January 12, 2011, 07:44:47 AM
I'm sure this is a matter of opinion - but I value your opinions  :).  So COSTCO sells two-butt packs at a good price - but only boneless butts.  Does bone-in make that big a difference to you for butts?  Trying to decide whether to buy these or go elsewhere.

To everyone who says that the Costco pork butts are boneless I just have one question...

What is this in the pic below?  I just bought it earlier this week from Costco.     ;D

SoCalBuilder

TedEBear is right, but I think it has just been recently that they started carrying bone-in, at least here in San Diego. Don't know if it is regional or not, but they are offering some kind of discount on bone-in butts either on the 16th of this month or that week. I can't remember as it has been awhile since I put it on the calendar. I know where I will be on the 16th after work :)