Black-eyed peas, where have you been all my life...

Started by squirtthecat, January 21, 2011, 05:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

This recipe was in the newspaper back around Christmas..   Looked interesting, so I saved a copy of it to try.

Ingredients
6 cups shredded cabbage
1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice  (I used brown rice - precooked about 30%)
1 teaspoon salt
1 pound ground sirloin  (I used 93/7 ground turkey)
1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles
1 (14-ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
1 (14-ounce) can reduced-sodium beef broth
1 (15-ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
Freshly ground black pepper (I added in a few shakes of Greek seasoning, and a Memphis rub)

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Place cabbage, rice, salt, meat, tomatoes and green chiles, diced tomatoes, and beef broth in a Dutch oven or large baking dish.
3. Cook, covered, 40 minutes. Stir and continue cooking until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Stir in black-eyed peas and pepper. Makes 8 cups. Serves 8.

It turned out pretty tasty.  But the winner was the black-eyed peas.  I've never had one!  (I'm a Yankee - it was a chore just finding a can of them in the store)

I need to play with this a bit..  It has serious potential.   Yes, it is a 'healthy' dish.

Credit to:

QuoteRecipe reprinted with permission from Holly Clegg's Too Hot in the Kitchen (Favorite Recipes Press, 2010)

classicrockgriller

wyoduke

i went out for bbq tonite and the only hilight was smoked black-eyed peas like dry peanuts wow good.
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

KyNola

Squirt,
PUHLEEZE tell me you're kidding when you say you've never had black-eyed peas before.  You've never had Hoppin' John?  You've never had Black-eyed peas cooked with a ham hock?  You've never had black-eyed pea JAMBALAYA?

I guess fried black-eyed pea cakes is out of the question too, huh?

:-\  :-\  :-\ I simply don't know what to say.

<sigh>

squirtthecat

Quote from: wyoduke on January 21, 2011, 06:21:12 PM
i went out for bbq tonite and the only hilight was smoked black-eyed peas like dry peanuts wow good.

Dang, that sounds good too....

Hmm.   Maybe some black-eyed peas, some CT, and a ride in the smoker for a while.   Hmm.

squirtthecat

Quote from: KyNola on January 21, 2011, 06:22:16 PM
Squirt,
PUHLEEZE tell me you're kidding when you say you've never had black-eyed peas before.  You've never had Hoppin' John?  You've never had Black-eyed peas cooked with a ham hock?  You've never had black-eyed pea JAMBALAYA?

I guess fried black-eyed pea cakes is out of the question too, huh?

:-\  :-\  :-\ I simply don't know what to say.

<sigh>

Never had them.  Ever.  Hal would tell me about making Hoppin' John on NYE and I'd just look at him sideways..
Swear on a stack of wood chips!

wyoduke

Quote from: squirtthecat on January 21, 2011, 06:24:21 PM
Quote from: wyoduke on January 21, 2011, 06:21:12 PM

Dang, that sounds good too....

Hmm.   Maybe some black-eyed peas, some CT, and a ride in the smoker for a while.   Hmm.

ya i think you are on to something
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

KyNola

In your grocery up there, does anyone carry "Glory" canned vegetables?  Search for them.  Buy you some "Glory" black-eyed peas.  Dump them in a pan.  Don't season 'em.  Dey been seasoned.  Heat 'em up.  OMG!

"Glory" brand foods was started by an African American family in Mississippi (I think MS is correct).  It started by these folks cooking for folks around town.  Word spread.  Soon it became a small industry and then a larger one.  The secret is it's already been seasoned.  Just open the can.  Great variety of different vegetables.  A few years ago Glory" brand was purchased by a large conglomerate.  The quality is still the same.  You cannot get closer to Deep South homemade flavor than "Glory" brand.

BTW, their frozen chicken and dumplings are killer!  

ronbeaux

+1 on the Glory brand!!!! I always have 10 or 12 cans in the pantry.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

KyNola

Quote from: ronbeaux on January 21, 2011, 06:40:12 PM
+1 on the Glory brand!!!! I always have 10 or 12 cans in the pantry.
Dat's what I'M talking about! :)

Ka Honu

I pretty much make my own greens, beans, peas, and the like but when I get a sudden "Jones" and can't wait for next-day gratification, Glory is there to save me.

Hate to be the one to tell you, though - Glory Foods was started by a guy who ran a soul food restaurant in Columbus Ohio.  Who'd a thunk it?

squirtthecat

Nope, sorry..

I'll look in STL next time we are down there.   I always find myself wandering into grocery stores and random...   :D

KyNola

Quote from: Ka Honu on January 21, 2011, 06:50:01 PM
I pretty much make my own greens, beans, peas, and the like but when I get a sudden "Jones" and can't wait for next-day gratification, Glory is there to save me.

Hate to be the one to tell you, though - Glory Foods was started by a guy who ran a soul food restaurant in Columbus Ohio.  Who'd a thunk it?

I stand corrected on the geographical location of the origin of Glory Foods. :D  Wherever it started, it's good!

standles

pensrock

Have to admit, I never had black eyed peas as well. But that dish looks and sounds great.  :)