• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoked chicken wings

Started by SmokinMoe, August 16, 2005, 03:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinMoe

Ok, I tried to smoke some chicken wings the other night.  I used cherry pucks and put a rub on it.  I put some bacon on top and smoked at 200 degrees for about 3 hours.  I put them on the grill to crisp it up, but I think I overdid it.  They were good except for my batch (kids and husbands on the ends of the grill, and mine were in the middle where the heat was)
Here is my question:  If I pulled one apart, as long as it doesn't look translucent, am I safe to say it is finished?  I mean, will the meat look pink from the smoke?
I overcooked for sure, but how long do you put them on the grill and what temp. to finish them off?  I am so scared to get food poisoning that I just darn near defeat the purpose and char them to death.
Is there any help for this mental condition other than just eating and hoping for the best?
I searched the chicken wing threads and didn't see much.
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

Habanero Smoker

Generally I fully cook my wings in the smoker. When finished, I toss them in some sauce, and throw them on the grill to give them a glaze.

If you are cooking wings that are cut up into sections, just prick them. If the juices run clear they are done, but you need to check several wings in different areas of the shelf or grill. If you are cooking whole wings, the wings will move freely at the joint. Signs of pink does not always mean that the wings are not fully cooked, or does it always come from the smoke.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

nsxbill

Moe, I only smoke for 2 hours.  Wife doesn't like things too smokey.  I then sauce them and grill them like I would any chicken.  I try to keep the heat down, but still pretty hot.  I get them "done" looking, browned or a little charred(carmelization), when they come off test to see if the joint is a little loose like Hab suggests and also use the stab to see if juices running clear.  Last time I did them, I did a full ten pounds, and wasn't too worried about getting them real cooked in the smoker.  Primary smoke was to add flavor.

Hope you used the Reveo for the wings.  It works great - 5 lbs at a time.  I use Wishbone Italian, as I recall a cup and one half, and about 4 Tbsp of Rockys.  When the come out of the Reveo, I dust with Swamp Venom Dizzy Pig Rub.

Always great!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

GrillinFool

I have never done wings in this style smoker, but i do grill alot of wings. The one thing about wings is that because they have so much skin, they have alot of fat and burn easy. I also like mine well done but never burned. I was thinking about doing some this weekend and I will use the BS smoker to flavor which may do most of the cooking as well. Then I will put them on the grill at a med-low temp and bake them some with the lid closed. I find that they burn too easy and baking is better for a final cook of wings. You could even use the oven in your house. When i grill wings i pile them up and toss the pile of wings around until they are all cooked and i do that for a while. They will cook through and not burn if you keep them moving and the heat low.

Oldman

This is one of the ways I've done mine... but they are a hot type of wing.

1. Cold Smoke 2 hours.
2. Store wings in frig. over night.
3. Deep fry (oil 360 f or abouts) 10 minutes.
4. Remove, place in bowl and cover heavily with hot sauce and toss. *
5. Place in microwave and give it 20 second or so on high.**
6. Toss chicken in bowl again to re-coat chicken with liquid-hot sauce in the bowl.
7. Place in microwave and give it 20 seconds or so on high again.
8. Server with blue cheese and celery.

* In a double boiler render down to 50% or about several bottles of Louisiana style hot sauce.
** The reason you microwave the chicken is the hot sauce will thicken even more. The idea is to create a nice sticky coating of sauce on the wings. Make sure to allow a couple of minutes or so  in between both times in the microwave to allow more of the sauce's liquid to evporate.

Note: You may want to salt chicken just before you microwave with a seasoned type of salt.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Foam Steak

I have had good results grilling them in a roticcerie basket.  Get the grill up to about 400-425F.  Should only take about an hour or so using fully frozen wings.  I am a fan of good old Buffalo Style wings. Its hard to improve on a classic.  So, I like them slightly overcooked, small and crispy but not burned(no fear of food poisoning at all!).  Using the roticcerie method is the only way I have found to allmost duplicate the true Buffalo flavor on a grill.    

I have tried throwing some pucks in the bottom of the grill but I dont think it added much flavor.  I am intregued by the cold smoking method presented earlier.  I may try that.  Good idea!