• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Just started a Two-fer - 4lb + 6lb Butt in the Smoker... Need advice

Started by TrippingBilly, January 22, 2011, 05:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrippingBilly

Just put two Pork Butts in the smoker for tomorrow.  I have a 4lb and 6lb and just want to verify that I should keep the temp monitor in the 4lber since it should be done first.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

Also, notice the smaller butt, it looks as if it was cut vertically as the fat is on the side... is that normal?  I got it at Meijer, first time.

TB

GusRobin

plan sounds good. But each butt is different so the smaller one could take longer than the big one. How hot you smoking at? I go 220-225 as measured below the lowest rack with meat. Change the water after the smoke is done and before you go to bed. IT will rise gradually and stall somewhere in the 160s. It will seem like hours, but don"t panic it willl eventually start up again.  Enjoy - many are here if you have any questions.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TrippingBilly

it's settled in at 225 right now and I'm smoking for 4 hours.  I'll send an update in the morning with some pics.

TB

DTAggie

That is an interesting cut on the small one.  Keep the temp probe in it but if it seems something funny is going with the cook time on the small one you can always put the probe in the big one and check it.

TrippingBilly

Got up this morning and after 12 hours at 225, the IT of the 4lber was 158.   I checked the 6lber and it was sitting at 168!!!!  That seems just crazy to me but GusRobin called it.  Looks like I'm in the middle of the stall but it is a labor of love.

TB

Sorce

What position are they in? If the big one is on the bottom it may cook faster. Have you rotated them at all? Also depending on where you've got the probe, how deep, in fat or flesh can change the reading as well.

TrippingBilly

They are on the same rack side by side but I have not rotated yet.  I will do that and recheck the temp for both in a different position.  Thx, TB

Up In Smoke

TB,
These guys have you pretty well covered! the stall period is where the magic happens,
as far as size of the roasts, i have done 6 roasts on the same shelf of my stretch. 5 were right at
the 10 lb mark and one was 6.5 pounds, the 6.5 pound came off last at just about the 16 hour mark.
some of these piggys can be pretty stubborn.
Looking forward to the finished pics!!!
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

TrippingBilly

Well, the 4lb butt turned a corner and sped up pretty quickly and finished about 12:30 with IT of 198.  I then waited until the 6lb butt got to 190 and just pulled it off to FTC because we are heading over to friends for the games today.  Should be nice spacing as we'll get through the first butt and then the 2nd will finish, just like I planned it :)

I'm planning on keeping it in a crockpot when I pull it and I kept and strained the juices from the run-off, does that seem sound?  I thought it would give it even better flavor than apple juice.

Here is the 4lb getting ready to be "hugged" by the foil

Here is the 6lb butt sitting in the smoker ready to be taken out... it practically fell apart when I grabbed it with the tongs

Here is the 6lb butt ready to be "hugged" by the foil as well

GusRobin

Quote from: TrippingBilly on January 23, 2011, 11:26:02 AM
I'm planning on keeping it in a crockpot when I pull it and I kept and strained the juices from the run-off, does that seem sound?  I thought it would give it even better flavor than apple juice.
Here is the 6lb butt ready to be "hugged" by the foil as well

That is what I do and works great, especially with using the drippings.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

DTAggie

watchdog56

TrippingBilly

These went over better than my first.  I think I might have FTC'd the first one too long as these came out steaming hot, just falling apart.  Nobody on this site warned me that I would pick and eat so many pieces when I'm pulling that I would not be that hungry for a sandwich when the time came :)  I love that bark!  Thank for all the support throughout the process, TB

GusRobin

Quote from: TrippingBilly on January 24, 2011, 05:13:35 AM
  Nobody on this site warned me that I would pick and eat so many pieces when I'm pulling that I would not be that hungry for a sandwich when the time came :) 

That is the "Quality Control" check ;D