• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

CANADA GOOSE

Started by BOUTCH, August 24, 2005, 07:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOUTCH

who have recipe for goose and also temperature to cook
thanks

MallardWacker

Bo,

I still have a couple skin-on breasts from last hunt of the season(man did we put the wack on them, had well over 120lbs).  Would love to brine them first then put them in smoker.  Maybe some bacon over the top to help with the moisture.  Someone else might chime in here.  The only other thing I would like to do is do some Goose Jerky.  I have tasted some and darn if doesn't taste like Bovine, love to try it.

Welcome to the forum...

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Foam Steak

Wild goose jerky is great.  I don't know how to make it, probably like any other jerky.  But man is it good.

jaeger

Boutch,
Welcome to the forum.
High Mountain has a brine specifically for geese. I would use bacon above the bird and I would cook to an internal temp of 165F.
Butcher Packer (among others), also carries poultry brine which should work just as well.

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

SoupGuy

An old (now deceased) fishing guide of mine in Ontario used to joke that they got all our Eagles and we got all their geese. Living in central Wis I can at least agree that we have more Canadian goose than I can remember! (we still have a lot of eagles)

There are two kinds of Canadian geese.

1. Migratory birds that fly-through the area in fall.
2. Local geese that live/thrive on local lakes and ponds.

As a side-job, we smoke a lot of wild game for hunters every fall and winter. Ducks, geese, pheasant and a lot of deer. Of the two kinds of Canadian geese mentioned above, #2 turns out to be the more consistent... as long as we are not talking about fertilized grass-eating pond suckers.

We've found that the local geese eating dorito's, popcorn, Fritos and the like from tourists boats taste better than the migratory birds that fly through each year. South/Central WI is about 500 miles from Canada and we find these birds to be much more on the LEAN side. Lets face it, a good goose should have some FAT on it, and the long-flying variety tend to get more muscular every mile they travel... One in three migratory geese are good, while 9 out of 10 local corn-feds are GREAT!

A good smoked goose can taste as good as a lean slice of beef at a high-end buffet! REALLY!

We only breast-out a goose. If you are a conservationist and are willing to pluck, go for it. As my guide used to say; 'theres more in the lake, eh?' which in this case translates to 'theres more in the sky, eh?'...

For about 4 to 5 geese (thats 8 to 10 breasts):

4 gallons ice water (in a cooler or frige)
5 LBS Kosher or Pickling Salt
2 LBS Dark Brown Sugar (C&H- not the kond that has molassis)
8 OZ. Red Wine Vinegar

MIX THOROUGHLY!

Brine/cure geese about 12 hours. Make sure temp. is below 40f.
Rinse and allow surface to dry completely. (@ 2 or 3 hours using a fan)
Smoke/cook at 220F until internal temp reaches about 150F to 155F. A can of (spiced?) water/wine in the smoker would be a good idea if you like it more moist)
Let cool to room temperature before serving. Keeps/coaleces in fridge well for days!

** Place foil under the bird while cooking to catch the fat/oils. This 'juice' is absolutley delicious over sliced breast meat or sopped up with bread!!!!

** about a 1/4 cup "Old Bay" seasoning and/or Garlic in the Brine-Cure adds a different and unique flavor!

Best know not for soup, but rather smoked meats...

Crazy Canuck

Sorry for not responding earlier. Been out filling my deep freeze for the upcoming winter.  Glad to say moose, deer and elk safely froze.  Oh and Geese, Big Canadian variety.  As it is Thanksgiving this weekend I have four large breasts in Morton's TenderQuick Brine for next twentyfour hours.  (Followed directions on side of package).  I then plan to marinate in Szechwan sauce for twelve hours. I put Geese in pre-heated smoker and smoke with special blend 6 pucks.  I then cook to an internal temp of 165 degrees F.  I put a tray of cheap bacon on top rack to help keep meat moist. (and for flavor) Once meat has reached internal temp FTC for 1 hour after brushing on a layer of Szechwan. Have also used plum sauce but I prefer a little more spice.

jaeger

crazy,
Feel free to send about 20# of elk my way!!!

Never have tried Moose. How does that compare?

Thunder Fish

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Never have tried Moose. How does that compare?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
They are also known as "Swamp Donkey's" for a reason [xx(] [xx(] [xx(]  Boy I'm going to pay for this one [:)]. . .  Now Cariboo mmmmmm.......[:p] [:p]

Crazy Canuck

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">They are also known as "Swamp Donkey's" for a reason <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Rubber Nose Swamp Donkey's to be precise.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Never have tried Moose. How does that compare?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Moose is a little more gamier than elk but if de-boned still makes for good eating.  We get to hunt while the animals are in full velvet and have not started to rut.

jaeger

Crazy,
Congrats on a successful hunt(s).

Phone Guy

Last week I added 3 Pronghorn (Antelope) to my freezer. I have not tried to smoke any yet. I also shot 3 last year, had salami made with 25 pounds or so. It came out great. Has anyone smoked Antelope?

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Phone Guy</i>
<br />Has anyone smoked Antelope?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Yea, but they're a bitch to keep lit![:D] OK, that was bad.[B)]

I haven't personally but people who I know have said they treat them basically the same way as venison.[:)]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Cold Smoke

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Thunder Fish Posted -
They are also known as "Swamp Donkey's" for a reason    Boy I'm going to pay for this one . . . Now Cariboo mmmmmm.......  <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

C'mon Thunder....give the monster deer of the great white north a break.... Not the smartest animals on the planet- I'll give you that and I've never tasted caribou but those moose are darn tasty and tender-(BTW never smoked any yet). But BBQ on high heat to medium rare and cover in fried onions and homegrown hickory bacon slices....MMmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Taste buds gone wild!!!!

Besides...where else do you get 400# ++ of tasty meat for the cost of a $2 bullet?
Cold Smoke

SoupGuy

I've had Moose twice. Smoked some once.

I have to say that Moose is even better than Beef... and I am NOT a lover of venison whatsoever (yuk).

I know some people in ON who place salt licks on the highway (502) and use pickups with heavy grills on the front to whack them! The explanation I was given was that MNR doesn't issue tags for moose in areas where there is a significant population (of people) for fear they will be hunted into extinction... so they use the other law that says they can keep a road kill.

Even with those pipe-fences on their front-ends, I would think a Moose WHACK would still do some damage????

Maybe they were pulling my leg...  :)

Best known not for soup, but rather smoked meats... and stuff

Thunder Fish

It has to be a personel choice as I've had Moose from Man. Sask. Alta. and B.C. and it all tastes like swamp.
I had a local resturant closed for trying to serve that up as beef [:(]
Deer on the other hand is usually quite GOOD! [:p]