Bradley Smoked Salmon Filet

Started by muebe, February 12, 2011, 10:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muebe

So I had a Salmon Filet that I smoked on the Bradley. This was my very first time smoking Salmon so I did not want to risk ruining a bunch of Salmon that is $10.99 a lb so I did just one filet. I brined the filet for 12 hours using a mix of 48 oz of water, a cup of Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki Mix, 2 teaspoons of red cayenne pepper, 4 tablespoons of hickory smoked kosher salt, and a 1/4 cup of dark brown sugar. Then I lightly sprinkled with ground ginger & more hickory smoked salt before glazing and then glazed for 4 hours at room tempature until a pellicle formed. After glazing I smoked the filet in the Bradley for 8 hours and applied Maple wood smoke for the first 4 hours. I programmed the PID for 110F for the first 2 hours then 140F for 4 hours then 175 for 2 hours. The fish turned out excellent. It was not dry at all and had a great flavor. The Soy Vay Teriyaki is a great marinade. It is full of garlic and spices. I have only seen and purchased it from Costco. I will copy this brine mix the next time I smoke some more Salmon. And here are the pics...

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

DTAggie

Smokeville

Other than your smoker is way too clean, WOW!!!!!! The salmon looks great!!!!!

Rich

smoker pete

That's some fine looking salmon muebe.  I can see why you wolfed it down in a single sitting ;D ;D  Have seen that Veri Veri Teriyaki at Costo recently and now I think I need to pick me up a bottle next visit.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

muebe

Quote from: smoker pete on February 13, 2011, 05:09:18 PM
That's some fine looking salmon muebe.  I can see why you wolfed it down in a single sitting ;D ;D  Have seen that Veri Veri Teriyaki at Costo recently and now I think I need to pick me up a bottle next visit.

Definitely pick some up Pete. My wife and I love the stuff. It is a great sauce to marinate steaks in ;D
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Slamdunk

Looks very good indeed! Nice glaze. And it doesn't look dry perhaps not dry enough for my tastes but ....

I'm curious about the 2 tps of cayenne ... how much could you taste/feel it?

muebe

Quote from: slamdunk on February 13, 2011, 05:43:57 PM
Looks very good indeed! Nice glaze. And it doesn't look dry perhaps not dry enough for my tastes but ....

I'm curious about the 2 tps of cayenne ... how much could you taste/feel it?

You could taste it but it just a light amount of heat and not overpowering. It was diluted in over 48 ounces of brine and I am sure the dark brown sugar off set the heat some. The powdered Ginger really added a nice flavor also.

KyNola

OU812

That salmon looks delish.

I so gotta smoke some salmon in the near future.

Patsplace

Thanks for the heads up on the Soy Vey. Will pick some up next time I'm in Costco, probably this week. When I read the timing that folks are doing with PID's it makes my purchase of one that much closer. Am I correct in thinking that I could program it to do the various times and temps and then it would turn the unit off? What a joy that would be as my smoker is in a safe place even if it caught fire. Turn it on and go to work and leave the robot to look after the fine points.

Pat
I feel much better since I started smoking.

RFT

Will have to head to Coscto tomorrow to pick up a bottle of The Soy Vay Teriyaki sauce.
"Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced."
N.P.

SouthernSmoked

Heck Yeah! Nice looking salmon!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

howlin

now that looks tasty,sort of makes me sad tho as salmon is so freaking expensive up here as well as being far to cold to smoke..but next week ...hmmm
if cows didn't taste so good ,they would be extinct