• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Foam steak, a ? for you on wings...

Started by SmokinMoe, August 25, 2005, 07:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinMoe

I was reading your response on my post about chicken wings.  So, I went out and bought a basket and some hickory chips (gasp) since I have a primo grill, I thought, why not smoke them in the primo and get a crisp skin at the same time?
Ok, I marinated them and of course, you couldn't taste that.  Then, I grilled at 300 for what seemed like eternity.  I know it wasn't as hot as you said, they weren't frozen either.  But, what type of basket was it again?  I used a deep basket and just came out every so often and pulled the bottom wings to the top and put the top wings on the bottom.  The temp got right back up since I have the pit viper for the primo.
Can you post a link to what your basket would look like?  I liked them ok, but they ROCK in the Bradley and I wanted to know why they weren't that great on the grill.
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

Foam Steak

Mr. SmokinMoe

My apologies for the long time responding.  I have been bow hunting, no bow killing, just bow hunting.  Anyway, the basket I was referring too came with my Weber rotisserie.  I apologize if I neglected to mention that.  The rotisserie is critical to enable you to cook at the higher temperature without burning.  I will root around the internet a little bit and see if I can find a picture. I can only fit about 16 or so wings in it at a time.  I am sure a bigger basket would work quite a bit better.

Foam Steak

I also want to restate that I am a fan of good old traditional Buffalo Wings.  Fried, slightly over-cooked/crispy, into the franks/butter/vinegar.  The only variation I like is using some sesame oil in the sauce.  
Baking the wings is a very very close second.  Rotisserie and basket on the grill is a close second as well.

I know there are plenty of other ways to cook wings that are very good and probably have huge groups of loyal fans.  But I like mine as close to original as I can get (with the acception of a little sesame oil).  

nsxbill

Foam Steak,

Michelle is defintely not a guy, but a dedicated smoke head (SmokinMoe) Like she says, they rock in the Bradley.  A couple of hours of smoke, and finishing on the grill after a swim in the hot sauce just makes them perfect.  Traditions...well it would become your new one.  Flavor is just outstanding!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Foam Steak

My appologies SmokinMoe. For some reason I was thinking Moe was a guys name, but now that I think about it the only Moe I know is all woman.

Bill, we may have to agree to disagree on this one.  I do not like wings that have been sauced then put back on the grill.  It messes up the crispyness of the skin.  No accounting for personal taste. : )

I still want to try cold smoking them then going to the frier or baking sheet.  Not today though.  The smoker is full of pork  ribs.

Have a good weekend.

MallardWacker

Lief,

Don't worry about "Moe", I found out the hard way also after making some stupid remark.
 <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">into the franks/butter/vinegar<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
How about being a little more detailed on this Foam....

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Foam Steak

1 part Butter
2 parts Frank's RedHot Cayenne Pepper Sauce
Vinegar to taste
Sesame Seed Oil to taste

I am usually just making a batch for myself 12-16 wings.  So it ends up being:
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup Frank's or a tad more
splash of vinegar
double splash of Sesame oil (secret ingredient)

This is the original Buffalo Wing recipe.  Louisiana brand hot sauce works really well too.

MallardWacker

Thanks there young man.....Have a great weekend.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

psdubl07

MW, I like to replace the vinegar w/ jalapeno juice.  Just another variation for you to try.  [:)]

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by psdubl07</i>
<br />MW, I like to replace the vinegar w/ jalapeno juice......
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Now that is a great idea and worth trying...

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Foam Steak

Does Welch's make jalapeno juice?  All I could find was the standard fruit juices and standard fruit juices with Cranberry.  Not a drop of Jalapeno juice to be found.

Could you imagine reaching into the fridge for your morning glass of apple juice and finding out it was not quite what you expected?  How about this scenario.  Wife:"Honey what did you just give the baby"?  
Husband: "just some of that apple juice in the fridge"

psdubl07

Haaaa, nice one Foam.
I'm not sure I've ever seen it sold by itself.  I should have been a bit more clear.  I use the juice from a can or jar of Jalapenos.  It's vinegary, so you get the vinegar, but some kick too! [}:)]

Foam Steak

Thats Genius!  I am trying that tonight.

psdubl07

I think the Sesame Oil idea is genius.  I love Sesame Oil but hadn't thought of using it in this style of "hot" wing.
I love this board.....

Phone Guy

I'm not sure I have ever eaten a BAD hot wing.